Unable to Test Features of CY4532 EZPD (CCG3PA).

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PrRe_3492461
Level 4
Level 4
First like received 50 sign-ins 50 replies posted

Hello RajathB_01,

I am using CY4532 EZ-PD CCG3PA EVK board Rev 07 to test the features of Power Delivery (Sink,Source) and BC1.2.

I am facing following problem when I started verifying these features.

FW:

I verified the existing FW in EVK is in PB mode as the CC line voltages are 0.136v on each line as I verified them by connecting multi-meter across TP8 and TP11 nodes to GND as per instructions given in the Evaluation kit guide section-C.

Problem 1:

I made the jumper setting as per the Section 5.2 in Evaluation kit guide.

Main board: Shorted 2-3 pins of J2,J3 and J4,

shorted 1-2 pins of J6,

J5 and J7 are Open.

Power board : Shorted 1 and 2 pins of J6,J7 and J9.

I connected a Programmable E-load to J1 terminal, SW1 is set to Battery Input and a PD supported Provider only device to J10 port and I am able to observe the PD contract in the Sniffer. But when I connected a Programmable Power supply (programmed it at 7V output) to J1 terminal,SW1 is set to Battery Input and a PD supported Consumer only device to J10 port and Type A device to J9 port, PD contract is not happening and when checked for Vbus by connecting multi-meter to TP7 node on Main board I observed 0v.

Problem 2:

When I tried to program the CCG3PA controller on EVK board using the Steps given in the Section 4 in Evaluation kit guide. I made the Jumper settings and Powered the EVK using the Programmable Power supply (programmed it at 7V output),SW1 is set to Battery Input.

Jumper settings are made as:

Main Board: J2,J3,J4 Shorted pins 2-3,

J5,J6,J7 shorted 1-2,

Power board: J6,J7,J9 open.

In configuration utility, I am unable to detect UFP-AMA, tried the possible solutions mentioned in EVK guide and also tried the steps mentioned in this Frequently Asked Questions on CY4532 CCG3PA Kit – KBA226613​ document by flashing the default CC bootloader and updating the firmware using the default kit binaries provided also, but still unable to detect UFP-AMA for loading PA FW or user defined FW through Configuration utility.

Problem 3:

Throughout the above procedures I haven't seen the LED1 is ON ensured J14 is shorted.

I tried searching the document reference to see am I missing anything here, but I could not find any information.

Can I get any help for solving above problems.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Pranay.

0 Likes
1 Solution

> what could be the reason behind IC going bad, Fundamentally why is this occurred, is it because of using MiniProg3?

A: It is not due to miniprog3. Reasons could be incorrect input voltage, ESD or accidental output short to ground.

> and what are the precautions should be taken care for proper execution/debugging of CCG3PA ?

A: It is enough to ensure Kit guide and this KBA guidelines are followed.

> whether any other circuitry also gone bad, How to verify?

A: You can make use of the test points on the EVK and the Kit schematics to check other parts of the board.

> will CCG3PA works if I replace the U4 IC?

A: In this case, yes it should. Board is not damaged in any other part.

> and can we use MiniProg3 for debugging or not?

A: You can. Miniprog3 is safe to use for program and debug of all CCGx EVK's.

Regards,

Rajath

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi Pranay,

1. We'll address Problem 3 first, which might be the root of problems 1 and 2.

• LED1 is supposed to be ON as soon as you select the correct power input via SW1.
  • When you connect PPS of 7V to the J1 terminal, you should see the exact same 7V on TP3 (VBAT_VDC) on power board. Can you please verify that?
  • That VBAT_VDC will be then converted to 5V by a non-linear regulator, whose output can be measured at TP4 (+5V_BB). Ensure this is 5V before proceeding.
  • On the main board, TP4 measures VCCD, which has to be around 1.8 V for CCG3PA core logic to work.

2. In problem 1, you should measure VBUS on TP10. But problem 3 seems to be the root cause of this.

Regards,

Rajath

Hello Rajath,

Thanks for the response.

• When you connect PPS of 7V to the J1 terminal, you should see the exact same 7V on TP3 (VBAT_VDC) on power board. Can you please verify that?
    • Yes, I am able to observe 7V on TP3 on power board.
  • That VBAT_VDC will be then converted to 5V by a non-linear regulator, whose output can be measured at TP4 (+5V_BB). Ensure this is 5V before proceeding.
    • No, the voltage at TP4 node is 0v.
  • On the main board, TP4 measures VCCD, which has to be around 1.8 V for CCG3PA core logic to work.
    • Even the voltage at TP4 node is also not stable once I started measuring voltage, it started dropping down from 0.124v

Regards,

Pranay.

0 Likes

Hi Pranay,

Seems like the VDDD regulator is not generating 5V power.

Can you check TP15 on power board (EN)?

Power Good signal (PG - TP13) should be high.

You can refer to kit schematics page 3 and look for the IC #U4 (TPS63060DSCR). This is the part that generates VDDD power for CCG3PA without which the kit will not be able to act as provider.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

Hello Rajath,

Thanks for the Reply.

• Can you check TP15 on power board (EN)?
    • I am able to get the supplied Voltage of 7v at this node when PPS(7v) is connected to J1.
  • Power Good signal (PG - TP13) should be high.
    • No, The voltage at TP13 is Low.(0.1v).

Regards,

Pranay.

0 Likes

Hi Pranay,

7 volts is unlikely to have damaged the IC. But before we change the IC, I just want make sure of it.

Was the board working when powered using 12VDC power source on DC jack J3 and switch SW1 in 1-2 position?

One last test would be to check if the output VOUT of regulator is shorted to GND. You can do this by checking connectivity between TP4 and GND using a multimeter, when 'board is unpowered.'

If there is no short circuit, please check powering from DC Jack J3 once more. If DC jack is also unable to power the board, we can conclude that IC #U4 TPS63060DSCR has gone bad.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

Hi Rajath,

Thanks for the reply.

As mentioned here by krishna Re: CY4532 EZPD (CCG3PA) Debugging using MiniProg3(SWD, 5wire) ,we were able to detect the device and connect to board earlier. But after trying to update the firmware using SWD Miniprog3 found that device is no more responding to PA/PB modes.

As you;ve asked, I am able to observe that output VOUT of regulator is shorted to GND as TP4 of Power board and GND are shorted when checked in multi-meter. So can infer there is a short-circuit.

can you help me fixing this issue by explaining what are all the next steps to be followed ?

and can we use MiniProg3 for debugging or not?

Thanks and Regard,

Pranay.

0 Likes

Hi Pranay,

Please remove 0 ohm resistor R54 on power board and check for short circuit again at TP4.

This will confirm if short circuit is present on VDDD regulator or the load circuitry.

If you still see short, the IC U4 has to be removed and checked for short at TP4.

If you do not see short after removal of U4, then the IC has gone bad and needs to be replaced.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

Hi Rajath,

• Please remove 0 ohm resistor R54 on power board and check for short circuit again at TP4.
    • Yes, There is a short-circuit at TP4 node.
  • If you still see short, the IC U4 has to be removed and checked for short at TP4.
    • I do not see any short circuit at TP4 Node after removal of U4 IC and R54 Resistance.

As per your answer, I can infer that U4 IC has gone bad.

what could be the reason behind IC going bad, Fundamentally why is this occurred, is it because of using MiniProg3?

and what are the precautions should be taken care for proper execution/debugging of CCG3PA ?

whether any other circuitry also gone bad, How to verify?

will CCG3PA works if I replace the U4 IC??

and can we use MiniProg3 for debugging or not?

observation 1:

I've a CCG3PA Rev06 EVK board, in which I observed that there is No Short-Circuit of TP4 node as you've asked me to check in your earlier reply, so removed U4 IC of that Rev 06 EVK boards and mounted it to Rev 07 EVK board in which I'm facing issues. Now in this Rev07 board too there in no shorting of TP4 board, but still the supplied voltage of 7v using PPS across J1 terminals is not seen at TP4 and GND.

can we infer anything through this observation?

Thanks and Regards,

Pranay

0 Likes

> what could be the reason behind IC going bad, Fundamentally why is this occurred, is it because of using MiniProg3?

A: It is not due to miniprog3. Reasons could be incorrect input voltage, ESD or accidental output short to ground.

> and what are the precautions should be taken care for proper execution/debugging of CCG3PA ?

A: It is enough to ensure Kit guide and this KBA guidelines are followed.

> whether any other circuitry also gone bad, How to verify?

A: You can make use of the test points on the EVK and the Kit schematics to check other parts of the board.

> will CCG3PA works if I replace the U4 IC?

A: In this case, yes it should. Board is not damaged in any other part.

> and can we use MiniProg3 for debugging or not?

A: You can. Miniprog3 is safe to use for program and debug of all CCGx EVK's.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes