CY7C65215 virtual com port protocol

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
rijo_4201416
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any documentation that exposes the details of the virtual com port protocol for the CY7C65215 device.

I'm trying to avoid using the provided libraries and roll my own.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

CY7C65215 can only be configured in vendor mode for I2C and SPI whereas CY7C65215A part can be configured as Virtual COM port or vendor mode for SPI and I2C.

You can use the CY7C65215A part for I2C and SPI to come up as virtual com port on the host side.

Please refer to the  USB-serial SDK for the "Cypress USB-Serial VCP I2CSPI API Guide" and "CyUSBSerialVCP" library which is wrapper on the CDC class.

Best Regards

Yatheesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
YatheeshD_36
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

Please refer to the below sites from Microsoft. You can use the USB-Serial driver provided by Microsoft  under CDC class .

USB serial driver (Usbser.sys) - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs

Windows.Devices.SerialCommunication Namespace - Windows UWP applications | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Unfortunately this is not what I was getting at, and it seems I made a bad assumption about the device itself. I assumed that it always enumerated as virtual com ports even when being used for I2C and SPI interfaces, but it doesn't. In the past I've used USB-SPI and USB-I2C interfaces that enumerated as virtual com ports and you send serial bytes to them that get interpreted and converted to the correct I2C or SPI signals. After I configured the device using the utility for I2C and SPI I see that the virtual com ports are no longer enumerated. They only show up when UARTs are configured.

So it seems like I need to use the cyusbserial library but my application is in .NET so I need a managed code version which doesn't seem to exist. I'm looking into creating C++/CLI wrapper but if one already exists that would be great.

0 Likes

Hello,

CY7C65215 can only be configured in vendor mode for I2C and SPI whereas CY7C65215A part can be configured as Virtual COM port or vendor mode for SPI and I2C.

You can use the CY7C65215A part for I2C and SPI to come up as virtual com port on the host side.

Please refer to the  USB-serial SDK for the "Cypress USB-Serial VCP I2CSPI API Guide" and "CyUSBSerialVCP" library which is wrapper on the CDC class.

Best Regards

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Thank you for this information - that makes sense.

I looked at the Cypress USB-Serial VCP I2CSPI API Guide, but what I really want is the byte stream format for each of these functions and not the function prototype information. Since I'm writing a C# .NET application I want to use the SerialPort class and send the byte data myself. Is there any documentation that would help me with this?  Or is the source code available for the VCP library?

0 Likes

Hello,

I am sorry to say that the source code cannot be provided on open platform. C# can be used to call the C++ VCP APIs for the I2C and SPI virtual COM port implementation. Please try the same.

Best Regards

Yatheesh

0 Likes