[CYBT-343026-01] Be forced to execute WRITE_RAM

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
YoJa_3107936
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
100 sign-ins 50 sign-ins First like given

Hi

According to [WICED-HCI-Control-Protocol],
2.6 HCI Commands and Events During a Serial Flash Download
Execute UPDATE_BAUDRATE command and DOWNLOAD_MINIDRIVER command and
the module does not return response.

If we are forced to execute WRITE_RAM command,
Could you tell us if the FW is written properly?

Note: We are forced to write and it is working,
but we worry about if the FW is properly written on the module.

Also, could you tell me why the modle doesn't return response?
Example: If FW download fails once, EZ-Serial is broken and response does not return.

Thanks

Yang

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi TAK /Yang,

For your descriptions, I believe the query is : Is it ok if we skip (Send UPDATE_BAUDRATE command ,.Send DL_MINIDRIVER  command ) and force write ram is that ok?

Ans: As you can see in point 4 of Section 2.6 HCI Commands and Events During a Serial Flash Download in HCI control pdf , If there is not response to the DOWNLOAD_MINIDRIVER command, the device may be in autobaud mode . In autobaud mode its expected to get NO response for the update baud rate command.  So its ok to go to the Write command directly.

You can continue with the way you are doing it now.

If you want to confirm whether the data is written correctly, you may try READ_RAM command to recheck.

Thanks,
Anjana

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Hello Yang,

Could you please clarify the query?

Q) could you tell me why the modle doesn't return response?

Comment: Do you mean you are not getting response for any of the HCI commands? Did you send HCI reset first? How you are sending the commands - is it via HCI UART console or any HCI tool?

Comment: Can you put the chip in recovery mode and try?

Thanks,

Anjana

0 Likes
YoJa_3107936
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
100 sign-ins 50 sign-ins First like given

Hi Anjana

Thank you for your cooperation.

The following question is the highest priority.

===============================

The customer forced to execute UPDATE_BAUDRATE/DOWNLOAD_MINIDRIVER/WRITE_RAM command without response.

And  it is working.
Could you tell us if the FW is written properly?

===============================

Could you answer it first?

Thanks

Yang

0 Likes

Hi Anjana,

I add some comments.

The customer is trying to download FW by following sequence in their MP line.

1.Send HCI_RESET

2.Send UPDATE_BAUDRATE command

3.Send DL_MINIDRIVER  command

4. Send WRITE_RAM Command

5. Transfer "download driver"

6.Send LAUNCH_RAM command and RAM Erase

7. Send WRITE_RAM Command

8. Transfer "FW"

They tried 200pcs module and 20pcs were failed by no response from the module of "#2" or "#3".

However, if the host CPU kept above procedure which means host send "WRITE_RAM" command and transfer data,

it seems to be succeeded and customer app is operated correctly.

We think pre-install FW(Ezserial) was erased or corrupted in these module so the module entered "download" mode which mode can not support "DL_MINIDRIVER" because we tested the same way and the test result is correctly.

We'd like to know the module app FW can be downloaded correctly if the module responded "WRITE_RAM" command and transferred driver\FW correctly in such this case.

BTW, this issue was happened in the customer MP line so we can not test such complex test , such as "recovery mode" ,unfortunately.

We feel this operation can be work around so I need to know your opinion whether we can adopt it officially.

Thank you.

--TAK

0 Likes

Hi Anjana,

How are things going on that???

The customer is rushing us to know whether our proposal become the work around or not.

Sorry for rushing you.

--TAK

0 Likes

Hi TAK /Yang,

For your descriptions, I believe the query is : Is it ok if we skip (Send UPDATE_BAUDRATE command ,.Send DL_MINIDRIVER  command ) and force write ram is that ok?

Ans: As you can see in point 4 of Section 2.6 HCI Commands and Events During a Serial Flash Download in HCI control pdf , If there is not response to the DOWNLOAD_MINIDRIVER command, the device may be in autobaud mode . In autobaud mode its expected to get NO response for the update baud rate command.  So its ok to go to the Write command directly.

You can continue with the way you are doing it now.

If you want to confirm whether the data is written correctly, you may try READ_RAM command to recheck.

Thanks,
Anjana

My 5cents:

Board: 20706 EVK

App: Hello sensor, compiled with DIRECT_LOAD=1

PC App: ClientControl.exe

I followed the steps in 2.4 of the HCI command app note and I was able to download the App onto the RAM all the time. I noted

from the log that a HCI reset was executed and followed by setting of baud rate.