S70FL01GS I/O voltage

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
TeSt_4182911
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

I have a problem understanding the S70FL01GS I/O voltage capabilities.

The data sheet front page indicates that the part supports 1.8V I/O:

 Core Supply Voltage: 2.7V to 3.6V

 I/O Supply Voltage: 1.65V to 3.6V

But the VIO pin description in the data sheet says that VIO is not supported:

VIO Supply Versatile I/O Power Supply. Note: VIO is not supported in the S70FL01GS device. Refer to Section 7. for more details.

7. Versatile I/O Power Supply (VIO) Note that the Versatile I/O (VIO) power supply (pin 14 on the 16-pin SO package and ball E4 on the 5x5 BGA package) is not supported, and pin 14 and ball E4 are RFU (Reserved for Future Use) in the standard configuration of the S70FL01GS device. Contact your local sales office to confirm availability with the VIO feature enabled.

Is the device capable of supporting 1.8V I/O?

Cypress App note AN98507 also indicates the part supports 1.8V I/O.  Table 3 shows that the S70FL01GS is suitable for use with the Zynq 7000 series at 3.3V and 1.8V I/O.

The part was used on a Xilinx evaluation board with 1.8V I/O.

We have been using the part with a Zynq 7000 at 1.8V I/O successfully, but now a new batch of boards does not seem to be working.  Has something about the part changed?  The only difference is that we are now using the Automotive temperature range parts.  We are unable to program (write) the parts now.

Is there an alternate or variant of the part that would work?

0 Likes
1 Solution
BryanH_56
Employee
Employee
First solution authored 10 questions asked 10 sign-ins

For the S70FL01GS product the VIO function is not available.   The datasheet 

"Note that the Versatile I/O (VIO) power supply (pin 14 on the 16-pin SO package and ball E4 on the 5x5 BGA package) is not

supported, and pin 14 and ball E4 are RFU (Reserved for Future Use) in the standard configuration of the S70FL01GS device.

Contact your local sales office to confirm availability with the VIO feature enabled."

I do not know how you received S70FS01GS product with the VIO feature enabled.  The Bonding diagrams show VIO pin is not connected to the Dies.    You can ask Sale Rep, if possible to enable the VIO feature.

Regards

Bryan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Apurva_S
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Terry,

Could you please let us know the full part number of the devices which you were using previously? While ordering the earlier batch of devices, did you specifically order for parts with VIO functionality?

Can you please provide the top markings of few of the newer batch of devices that are failing?

>>Is the device capable of supporting 1.8V I/O?

It is possible to place an order for parts with VIO functionality enabled. The programming can be done in such a way that devices come with VIO functionality.

If possible, can you provide the wave forms for both working parts and failing parts?

- Apurva

Apurva,

Thank you for the information.

We were not aware that we were ordering a special part previously.

The part we have been using (the part that was working for us) is:

S70FL01GSAGBHIC10

It has markings:

SPANSION ©

FL01GSAIHC1

611BB621 A

THAILAND

©14 SPANSION

The part we recently used (that does not work) is:

S70FL01GSAGBHAC10

It has markings:

SPANSION ©

FL01GSAAHC1

704BB062 A

THAILAND

©14 SPANSION

As far as we knew, we were just substituting the Automotive range part for the Industrial range part.

I'm not sure about getting waveforms.  I'll have to look into that.

Can you tell us how we go about ordering the part with the VIO capability?

Thanks again for your assistance with this.

Terry

0 Likes
BryanH_56
Employee
Employee
First solution authored 10 questions asked 10 sign-ins

For the S70FL01GS product the VIO function is not available.   The datasheet 

"Note that the Versatile I/O (VIO) power supply (pin 14 on the 16-pin SO package and ball E4 on the 5x5 BGA package) is not

supported, and pin 14 and ball E4 are RFU (Reserved for Future Use) in the standard configuration of the S70FL01GS device.

Contact your local sales office to confirm availability with the VIO feature enabled."

I do not know how you received S70FS01GS product with the VIO feature enabled.  The Bonding diagrams show VIO pin is not connected to the Dies.    You can ask Sale Rep, if possible to enable the VIO feature.

Regards

Bryan

0 Likes

This is quite a mystery then.  We have been using these parts in our boards connected to a Zynq 7 series Xilinx FPGA with the I/O voltage at 1.8 volts.  Everything has been working fine until this latest batch of boards where the CM changed the part to the Automotive range part.  We approved the change, assuming the only difference was the temperature range.

It seems unlikely (but not impossible) that the parts would work without the VIO being functional.  The best case (1.8V) high level out of the Zynq would be 54% of Vcc for the flash.  The minimum Vih for the flash is 0.7 * Vcc.  We have even programmed flash at high and low temperatures.

I will capture some waveforms to confirm, but it will be pretty surprising if the parts we have been using do not have VIO enabled.

Thanks for looking into this for us.

Terry

0 Likes

Terry

This is a mystery, can you confirm with waveform the previous S70FL01GS devices outputted only 1.8V for VOH.    This would confirm that these units had the VIO bonded out and enabled.

Regards

Bryan

0 Likes

Bryan,

You are correct.  The working parts are putting out about 2.5V (clamped by the Zynq input I suspect).  This means that for some reason, the Industrial range parts have been working for us with the Zynq I/O voltage at 1.8V and the flash I/O at 3.3V.  Murphy got us this time.

I'm trying to understand why the industrial parts seem to work OK like this, but the Automotive range parts do not.  I am lowering the flash Vcc to be closer to the Zynq I/O voltage to see if it will start working with the Automotive parts.  Just in order to fully understand the issue.  This wouldn't be a workable fix to the issue.

Obviously, we need to identify a part that will work for us.  It would be great if we can find a drop in replacement that doesn't require a board spin.  Are yo aware of anything that would work?

Terry

0 Likes

Terry

It is possible for Cypress to supply the S70FL01GS devices with VIO enabled.   You need to contact your Cypress sales reprehensive and request the device.   I don't know the cost or NRE that would be involved,  it may be less expensive to do your board spin.

Regards

Bryan

0 Likes

Bryan.

We have contacted sales and they are looking into it.

Thanks,

Terry

0 Likes