WEP support in WICED SDK 6.1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
sugac_3385211
Level 3
Level 3
5 likes given First like given

Hi,

I am testing WICED SDK 6.1 for all the supported Authentication methods in STATION mode. I have few issues in WICED SDK 6.1. i.e

1. In every case for WEP , Authentication fails .I enabled already the Macro , #define WICED_WIFI_SOFT_AP_WEP_SUPPORT_ENABLED .

It fails in  wwd_wifi_prepare_join()(file wwd_wifi.c)  ,I also added "WICED_SECURITY_WEP_PSK" in below function -

static wwd_result_t wwd_wifi_prepare_join(  )

{

if ( ( ( ( key_length > (uint8_t) WSEC_MAX_PSK_LEN ) ||

( key_length < (uint8_t) WSEC_MIN_PSK_LEN ) ) &&

( ( auth_type == WICED_SECURITY_WPA_TKIP_PSK ) ||

( auth_type == WICED_SECURITY_WPA_AES_PSK ) ||

( auth_type == WICED_SECURITY_WPA2_AES_PSK ) ||

( auth_type == WICED_SECURITY_WPA2_TKIP_PSK ) ||

( auth_type == WICED_SECURITY_WPA2_MIXED_PSK) ||

( auth_type == WICED_SECURITY_WEP_PSK ) ) ) )    

2.In case of WPA_AES_PSK,the station shows WPA2_AES_PSK in scan results ,tough it connects properly.

3.In case of WPA2_FBT too ,it shows WPA2_AES_PSK in scan results .

Please help me in solving above issues.

Thanks and Regards,

Suresh

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Based on the macro you had mentioned in the first question, I thought you were trying to check WEP security for softAP mode and based on that I had provided the previous instruction. I apologize for not carefully going through your use-case. I am attaching one example here which should help you check the WEP security in STA mode.

My test-case scenario: CYW43907 is working as STA and CYW4343W is working as a softAP with WEP security. It works properly in my setup with the mentioned configuration.

For  AP (CYW4343W): To configure WEP softAP using the test.console example I used this command (You can use your own AP in WEP security mode and check)

start_ap softap wep 12345 11 20 no_wps 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

For STA (CYW43907): Use the attached example application to join the softap created in previous step. (You can modify the macro based on your AP SSID)

#define YOUR_SSID           "softap"

If you need to modify the security key, add that in the example as well (modify YOUR_WEP40_KEY, YOUR_WEP104_KEY).

Tip 1:join command in console needs some additional code block apart from the existing implementation in command_console_wifi.c even after enabling ENABLE_WEP macro

Tip 2: scan result handler does not have separate implementation for detecting an AP with WEP security so in the attached example we try with WEP open first and then with WEP Shared

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

I am not sure what is the platform you are using.

1. I checked with a 4343w based platform and a 4390x based platform. In both of the platforms, I was able to set-up softAP with WEP security. I enabled WICED_WIFI_SOFT_AP_WEP_SUPPORT_ENABLED in 43xxx_Wi-Fi/libraries/utilities/command_console/wifi/wifi.mk and then used the start_ap command like this: start_ap softap wep 12345 11 20 no_wps 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

After connecting my WIN10 laptop to this softap, netsh commands reveal the following information

pastedImage_3.png

2. Since WPA2 is backward compatible with WPA, your observation is aligned with the implementation in WICED SDK. Please check the internal_ap_init() code block inside wwd_ap.c for more details on this (e.g, 4390x based implementation can be found at 43xxx_Wi-Fi/WICED/WWD/internal/chips/4390x/wwd_ap.c)

0 Likes

RaktimR_11​  As mentioned above ,I am testing WICED SDK 6.1 for all the supported Authentication methods in STATION mode.

I am using CYW43438,hope that helps,but I dont think it has anything to do with that .

0 Likes

Thanks for the information. But do you mean to say start_ap command is not working for any of the supported security types (open, wpa2, wpa2_aes, wep, wep_shared)?

0 Likes

Hi RaktimR_11

"start_ap" is for AP mode ,which I am not testing currently. I am testing station mode .when we run the board in sta mode,and try to connect to any AP (running with WEP security) ,than "join" command is not working for WEP security.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Based on the macro you had mentioned in the first question, I thought you were trying to check WEP security for softAP mode and based on that I had provided the previous instruction. I apologize for not carefully going through your use-case. I am attaching one example here which should help you check the WEP security in STA mode.

My test-case scenario: CYW43907 is working as STA and CYW4343W is working as a softAP with WEP security. It works properly in my setup with the mentioned configuration.

For  AP (CYW4343W): To configure WEP softAP using the test.console example I used this command (You can use your own AP in WEP security mode and check)

start_ap softap wep 12345 11 20 no_wps 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

For STA (CYW43907): Use the attached example application to join the softap created in previous step. (You can modify the macro based on your AP SSID)

#define YOUR_SSID           "softap"

If you need to modify the security key, add that in the example as well (modify YOUR_WEP40_KEY, YOUR_WEP104_KEY).

Tip 1:join command in console needs some additional code block apart from the existing implementation in command_console_wifi.c even after enabling ENABLE_WEP macro

Tip 2: scan result handler does not have separate implementation for detecting an AP with WEP security so in the attached example we try with WEP open first and then with WEP Shared

Raktim Roy wrote:

Did you test with WICED SDK 6.1 or different sdk version?

0 Likes