Battery Requirements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
cayuc_1568091
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

When I power my PSoC4 BLE Chip (CYBLE-214015-01) with the MiniProg, I am able to connect and read notifications using the BLE dongle / CySmart. However, when I power the chip with a coin cell battery (3.3V, 150mAh) or a Keithley source/measure unit, I can see the chip when scanning the dongle but I cannot connect. Is there another power requirement that I am missing?

(between powering with the MiniProg or battery, nothing else is different)

0 Likes
5 Replies
jomac_4032611
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Have you measured the voltage during connection? I'm using CR2032 and the voltage dips quite a lot. Maybe your battery (which one) has too high internal resistance and the voltage is too low. CySmart with BLE dongle uses very short connection interval thus causing high average current consumption.

Is this a custom board? You may need to add capacitance for surviving the current peaks during RX/TX. Here are some of my tests: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/cr2032-battery-voltage-with-ble/

I'm not familiar with Keithley source/measure unit. Do you have a current limit that may kick in? Or too much resistance somewhere.

That makes sense, thanks! Is there a way to extend the BLE dongle connection interval? The custom board loses connection after about 2 feet of distance.

I will look into adding capacitance!

0 Likes

You can change the dongle connection parameter by navigating to the cySmart App -> Configure Master Setting -> Connection parameters

-Gyan

GyanC_36
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Could you please verify what is the voltage at pin VDD/VDDR in the case of operating at coin cell battery? Also measure the current consumption by the application in this case.

-Gyan

Thanks! The voltage is a constant 3.3V when using a new coin cell battery. The current consumption peaks at about 16mA when connecting and decreases to about 13 - 15 mA when just transmitting.

0 Likes