Verilog: initialize register value?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Hi,

is it possible to initialize a register value in PSoC verilog implementation? I tried "reg A = 1'b1;" on register definition, but it isn't accepted. I didn't find anything in the documentation.

Regards

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Ralf,

In Warp Verilog, all registers are initialized to 0 by default. Also, Warp ignores the 'initial' construct, so no luck there. I see only way is to use a reset condition to initialize values to something non-zero.

/odissey1

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Ralf,

In Warp Verilog, all registers are initialized to 0 by default. Also, Warp ignores the 'initial' construct, so no luck there. I see only way is to use a reset condition to initialize values to something non-zero.

/odissey1

0 Likes

Hello odissey & Ekta,

thank you for confirmation, I thought I've overseen it.

Regards

0 Likes
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello

You can assign register some value only inside 'always' block. You can refer to the section 2.3.2 (Register) of the Warp_verilog_reference book (page 10): https://www.cypress.com/file/326096/download . Without assigning any value the registers are initialized to zero.

pastedImage_1.png

In the above example, in order to assign value 3 to register count, reset variable has been used inside an 'always' block

Regards

Ekta

0 Likes