Maximizing MIPI throughput with CX3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_1065201
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are using CX3 to get data from image sensor (ONSemi AR0330CM) + image signal processor (ONSemi AP1302) over USB to host PC. We would like to get maximum possible frame rate, but we are kinda stuck now.

We have configured all components to get 1920x1080 px, and we are able to get about 51 fps in YUV 4:2:2. In order to achieve this, we had to set THS-EXIT parameter in AP1302 to increase pause between the frames on MIPI interface. We believe that this parameter is limiting us from getting faster frame rates. We have development kit for sensor + ISP and we have verified that same settings on the kit yield same results, and reducing THS-EXIT causes fps increase.

However if we reduce THS-EXIT on our hardware, we do not get picture from the UVC interface, instead there are errors reported in MIPI error thread, namely "Unrecoverable Sync Byte Error".

I would like to understand why this happens, but I do not see any reason why there would be some pause between packets required in order to get CX3 interface working as intended. I have thought that there should be no need to any pauses or waits as CX3 MIPI received internally uses multiple threads with separate buffers and is able to switch instantly and seamlessly between the threads writing to different buffers.

Can anyone possibly explain how is THS-EXIT related other parameters and give us some hint of what we can change so we can reduce this value even further?

Thanks a lot for any ideas, hints and other pieces of information that might help us.

EDIT 04/04/2019:

After some more experimenting we have concluded that value required for THS-EXIT depends on packet size. If we increase packet size, we have to increase THS-EXIT as well. It looks like CX3 does need some time to process the data it has received into it's buffers before it can receive another packet.

Can anyone clarify if there is any strict requirement for pauses between MIPI packets, and how to calculate required pause length?

Best regards

Ivo

0 Likes
12 Replies
KandlaguntaR_36
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

THS-Exit is the Time that the transmitter drives LP-11 following a HS burst. This value is transmitter specific. As per the Spec. minimum value is 100 ns.

You need to set this parameter as per the MIPI transmitter (manufacturer) specification.

On the receiver side, we do not control this parameter.

0 Likes

Hi Kandlagunta,

thanks for your reply.

We can set it on transmitter side (ISP ONSemi AP1302), however if we set it below certain value, there is no image coming from CX3 over UVC, and it signals Unrecoverable Sync Byte Error. We have confirmed that minimal possible value directly depends on configured MIPI packet size, which seems odd to us. Sensor and ISP itself works just fine even with THS-Exit set to 0, but there is some FPGA instead of CX3, so the receiver is different.

So far everything points to CX3, we think it has some kind of bandwith/throughput limitation, possibly caused by how it is implemented internally, but that kind of wild guess. Can you confirm that there is no need to have pauses of certain length between the MIPI packets in order to get CX3 MIPI receiver working?

Also, is there detailed description of MIPI errors, so we can understand what exactly does Unrecoverable Sync Byte Error means in this case? It would be great to know what indicates.

Best regards

Ivo

0 Likes

Hello,

Please find the description of errors.

frmErrCnt;          /**< Framing Error Count*/   - This field is incremented when an un-expected Frame start or Frame end short packet is received

crcErrCnt;          /**< CRC Error Count*/ - This counter is incremented when a HS packet is received with crc errors.

mdlErrCnt;          /**< Multi-Data Lane Sync Byte Error Count*/ - This counter is incremented when HS Sync Bytes were not received at the same clock cycle by CSI2 Rx

ctlErrCnt;          /**< Control Error (Incorrect Line State Sequence) Count*/ - This counter is incremented when escape mode is exited using the wrong sequence

eidErrCnt;          /**< Unsupported Packet ID Error Count */ - This counter is incremented when a HS packet that is not supported by CSI-2 Rx is received.

recrErrCnt;         /**< Recoverable Packet Header Error Count*/ - This counter is incremented by when a HS packet header is received with errors that are correctable by ECC.

unrcErrCnt;         /**< Unrecoverable Packet Header Error Count*/ - This counter is incremented when a HS packet header is received with errors that are not correctable by ECC

recSyncErrCnt;      /**< Recoverable Sync Byte Error Count*/ - This counter is incremented when a HS Sync Byte was received by Rx with correctable errors

unrSyncErrCnt;      /**< Unrecoverable Sync Byte Error Count*/ - This counter is incremented when a HS Sync Byte was received by Rx with uncorrectable errors.

Can you please tune the THS_Exit parameter to receive the video streaming at lesser THS_Exit value?

0 Likes

Kandlagunta, thanks for error description, hopefully it will help us.

Can you please tune the THS_Exit parameter to receive the video streaming at lesser THS_Exit value?

Well, that's what we are trying to do. However under certain value it simply stops working as CX3 MIPI receiver fails to get data, probably due to broken synchronization as it increases unrSyncErrCnt counter.

We think that AP1302 do not use any blanking at all (I am still waiting for confirmation from ONSemi, getting support for this device is bit difficult), but right now everything seems like that, please check with me.

We do not have proper MIPI D-PHY analyzer, but we have measured using oscilloscope that MIPI goes into HS mode for 13.6 us. We have configured 1920x1080p, YUV 4:2:2, so there are 16 bits per pixel. Packet length is configured to be two times horizontal resolution, so it should be 3840 bytes. MIPI interface uses 4 lanes at 576 MHz.

Since we have 1920 pixels at 16 bits per pixel and 4 lanes, we should have 7680 bits per each lane for one frame line:

1920 * 16 / 4 = 7680

At 576 MHz, you can fit approximately 7834 sampling intervals into measured HS time of 13,6 us:

13.6e-e * 576e6 = 7833.6

As MIPI has to settle in HS mode and there is some synchronization besides the data itself, it seems quite likely that there is no blanking transmitted from AP1302 to CX3. The difference between 7833,6 and 7680 is simply these additional transitions and signals.

After one line is transmitted, THS-Exit comes in place and forces MIPI interface to stay in LP mode for certain time. The minimum value we can use (CX3 will still synchronize to data and transmit the image to host PC) is 3.5 us. We think that pause between the packets caused by THS-Exit effectively acts as horizontal blanking interval, as it gives time to CX3 MIPI receiver to move data from line buffer to buffers in GPIF interface.

We suspect that the issue might be caused by CX3 MIPI receiver not having enough time to move the data between the buffers. This should be fixable by increasing parallel output clock, but we have tried that yesterday and it appears to be working in very limited range on frequencies around 60 MHz, but not higher than that. We are not sure why that happens yet...

I will discuss it with my colleagues and provide more information about current CX3 MIPI receiver configuration that works for us, albeit with lower frame rate than intended.

0 Likes

CX3 MIPI receiver is recommended to operate up to 500 MHz (maximum data rate supported per lane is 1 Gbps). It seems that you are operating at 576 MHz. Please operate below 500 MHz for appropriate functionality.

The parallel clock of CX3 MIPI (output of MIPI block and input to GPIF II) can be operated up to 100 MHz.

Please share the snapshots of MIPI Receiver configuration tab for review.

0 Likes

Kandlagunta, thanks for the warning. We have realized that we are confused about the clocks being used.

I have to correct myself, the clocks from AP1302 are in fact 288 MHz, not 576 MHz. I have confused that because AP1302 outputs this in field documented as MHz, but in fact it is Mbps instead. We have measured the clock using oscilloscope and that confirmed that clocks are at 288 MHz.

Currently used MIPI receiver configuration is following:

CY_U3P_CSI_DF_RGB888,  /* CyU3PMipicsiDataFormat_t dataFormat */

4,   /* uint8_t numDataLanes */

2, /* uint8_t pllPrd */

75, /* uint16_t pllFbd */

CY_U3P_CSI_PLL_FRS_500_1000M, /* CyU3PMipicsiPllClkFrs_t pllFrs */

CY_U3P_CSI_PLL_CLK_DIV_8, /* CyU3PMipicsiPllClkDiv_t csiRxClkDiv */

CY_U3P_CSI_PLL_CLK_DIV_8, /* CyU3PMipicsiPllClkDiv_t parClkDiv */

0,  /* uint16_t mClkCtl */

CY_U3P_CSI_PLL_CLK_DIV_4, /* CyU3PMipicsiPllClkDiv_t mClkRefDiv */

1920,  /* uint16_t hResolution */

0  /* uint16_t fifoDelay */

I have to admit that my colleague has obtained this configuration with trial-and-error as the configuration obtained from calculator was not working. We can change pllFbd in range small range (73 to 76 I think), outside of this range we do not get picture from CX3 (sync error). We have also tried increasing fifoDelay, but we were not able to get better results with that. We were able to get broken pictures (vertical split) with wrong fifoDelay value.

To get things ever more confusing, we are able to get up to 65 fps using only 2 MIPI lanes which should not be possible as bitrate is higher than 2 Gbps (2 lanes per 1 Gbps each). But it in fact is best result (highest frame rate) we have ever obtained. MIPI receiver configuration is following:

2,   /* uint8_t numDataLanes */

3, /* uint8_t pllPrd */

124, /* uint16_t pllFbd */

CY_U3P_CSI_PLL_FRS_500_1000M, /* CyU3PMipicsiPllClkFrs_t pllFrs */

CY_U3P_CSI_PLL_CLK_DIV_8, /* CyU3PMipicsiPllClkDiv_t csiRxClkDiv */

CY_U3P_CSI_PLL_CLK_DIV_8, /* CyU3PMipicsiPllClkDiv_t parClkDiv */

0,  /* uint16_t mClkCtl */

CY_U3P_CSI_PLL_CLK_DIV_2, /* CyU3PMipicsiPllClkDiv_t mClkRefDiv */

1920,  /* uint16_t hResolution */

1  /* uint16_t fifoDelay */

I have tried getting correct configuration using MIPI receiver configuration tool, but it always complains about CSI clock being too slow for frame rate we want, see following screenshot.

1080p70.png

As you can see, there is minimum CSI clock value of 435.46 (how is that even calculated?), and it also shows impossible minimum limit for output pixel clock. I really have no idea how are we supposed to configure it if there are contradicting requirements (value should be min. 145 and max. 100 at same time).

I am sorry for not being able to provide better information, we are not very familiar with MIPI so far, so we are still bit confused about some areas.

I will be very glad for any kind of help. If you need more information from me, just let me know. I will try to provide everything.

Best regards

Ivo

0 Likes

Hello,

As per your test, the MIPI lanes are working at a data rate more than 1 Gbps.

But you are not supposed to operate them at more than 1 Gbps. Please use four lanes.

The MIPI configuration tool has some issues in calculating the minimum CSI clock and parallel clock. We are going to fix them in next revision SDK.

Please refer the following KBAs to understand the calculations done by the tool. 1. Analysis of CX3 Video Timing parameters 2. Analysis of CX3 Clocking Parameters

As per the 1. KBA, the minimum CSI clock required is 291 MHz. As per the above settings (screen shot of CX3 Receiver configuration tool), I have generated the following MIPI configuration. Please use the same.

4,   /* uint8_t numDataLanes */

2, /* uint8_t pllPrd */

123, /* uint16_t pllFbd */

CY_U3P_CSI_PLL_FRS_250_500M, /* CyU3PMipicsiPllClkFrs_t pllFrs */

CY_U3P_CSI_PLL_CLK_DIV_4, /* CyU3PMipicsiPllClkDiv_t csiRxClkDiv */

CY_U3P_CSI_PLL_CLK_DIV_4, /* CyU3PMipicsiPllClkDiv_t parClkDiv */

0,                 /* uint16_t mClkCtl */

1920,         /* uint16_t hResolution */

50                         /* uint16_t fifoDelay */

Configure the PHYDelay of 11 using CyU3PMipicsiSetPhyTimeDelay API.

Please test the device with above settings and probe the HSYNC, VSYNC, PCLK test pins; measure the active and blanking of HSYNC and VSYNC, and frequency of the clock (parallel clock).

0 Likes

Hi Kandlagunta,

thanks for your response. I have checked referenced KBA and recalculated minimal CSI input clock to better understand it. I have obtained minimum of 290.304 MHz, so that corresponds with your information.

I have to apologize, I have mistakenly wrote that reference clock speed is 19.2 MHz, but we in fact use 24 MHz (in have swapped that for CLKIN on CX3). We changed REFCLK value to 24 MHz and adapted Multiplier of Unit Clk to 99 so we get 99 MHz Output Pixel Clock.

Adapted configuration structure:

4,                          /* uint8_t numDataLanes */

2, /* uint8_t pllPrd */

98, /* uint16_t pllFbd */

CY_U3P_CSI_PLL_FRS_250_500M, /* CyU3PMipicsiPllClkFrs_t pllFrs */ 

CY_U3P_CSI_PLL_CLK_DIV_4, /* CyU3PMipicsiPllClkDiv_t csiRxClkDiv */

CY_U3P_CSI_PLL_CLK_DIV_4, /* CyU3PMipicsiPllClkDiv_t parClkDiv */

0,                 /* uint16_t mClkCtl */

1920,         /* uint16_t hResolution */

50                         /* uint16_t fifoDelay */

We have set our sensor and ISP to output 1080p30 (should be easired to achieve then 70 fps, and our MIPI clocks are at 288 MHz right now, so not enough for 70 fps, but for 69 or less it should be fine) with this configuration and obtained following results:

- PCLK outputs 99 MHz (as expected)

- VSYNC outputs 30 Hz (as expected)

- HSYNC is unknown, we unfortunately do not have this pin connected

So far so good, it seems. However there is no output from UVC and there are actually no data coming over USB into host PC (checked with Wireshark). MIPI thread prints following output:

state 0xD glDMATxCount 0 glDmaDone 0 errCnts 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

state 0xD glDMATxCount 0 glDmaDone 0 errCnts 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

state 0xD glDMATxCount 0 glDmaDone 0 errCnts 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I am not sure if state value corresponds to what is described in Figure 7 of CX3 TRM (Doc. No. 001-91492 Rev. *B), but if it does, it suggests that state machine is stuck in State 13 which is Start. I believe that transition from Start to Wait for Frame Done should be automatic, so I do not understand why it is staying in Start.

I believe that MIPI receiver is able to distinguish the frames as it outputs expected VSYNC pulses on respective pin, so I am not sure what is actually broken here.

I will try to do more tests and hopefully provide more details.

Best regards

Ivo

0 Likes

Dear Kandlagunta,

do you have any ideas what we could change to getting higher frame rate? We would appreciate any help.

Best regards

Ivo

0 Likes

Hello Ivo,

Earlier you have set the sensor and ISP to stream 70 fps. In the previous response, the VSYNC is 30 Hz then fps is 30.

Please confirm what you are trying to stream at the moment.

If both VSYNC and HSYNC are not high, then the GPIF II state machine stuck at Start state. Since you have not taken out the HSYNC pin, we cannot confirm whether HSYNC is not high when VSYNC is high.

Please share your UVC.c and UVC.h files for review.

0 Likes

Hi Kandlagunta,

our ultimate target is 1080p70, but have tried it with 30 fps just to try out MIPI receiver configuration. As the MIPI clock should remain same, I think that what works for 70 fps should also work for 30 fps, or am I mistaken?

I mean, there will be more "dead time" (no data on MIPI) between packets and frames, so it should be easier to achieve 30 fps than 70 fps. This is why we have tried 1080p30 first. But maybe that idea is all wrong, I am not sure.

Is there any other reason why GPIF state machine would state in Start state? Making HSYNC accessible for measurements would require new HW revision, sadly the board is so crammed that there is pretty much no space for test signals, so we had to omit that. And can you confirm that state 0xD corresponds to Start state?

I am afraid I cannot share complete UVC.c and UVC.h files publicly on community board due to legal reasons, but if you are interested in something specific, I might pick only relevant parts and avoid confident information.

Best regards

Ivo

0 Likes

If you are using the SDK 1.3.4, the state 0xD means the start state.

Please share the code of DMA callback.

I confirm that the MIPI configuration for 30 fps is proper. Please confirm whether you have configured the PHYDelay of 11 using CyU3PMipicsiSetPhyTimeDelay API.

0 Likes