Does the SDK3.3.1 support updating DCT Over The Air?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'v tried updating the app using the ota_fr snip and I want to know if the SDK-3.3.1 supports updating the DCT OTA. I think it's possible and useful if we want to update the app combining a new default DCT, or updating the DCT separately.

regards,

Guohui

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The OTA operation as implemented by Broadcom, doens't support updating  DCT (it does support loading the factory reset DCT though). However eventually the DCT is just another binary blob that the user can received and store and load. To check how load a DCT, have a look at functions

wiced_dct_restory_factoryreset in WICED/platform/MCU/wiced_dct_internal_common.c

Regards,

Bassem

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The OTA operation as implemented by Broadcom, doens't support updating  DCT (it does support loading the factory reset DCT though). However eventually the DCT is just another binary blob that the user can received and store and load. To check how load a DCT, have a look at functions

wiced_dct_restory_factoryreset in WICED/platform/MCU/wiced_dct_internal_common.c

Regards,

Bassem

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Can Anybody tell what will be the maximum size of binary for OTA??

STM32F205 which is used in Wiced wifi board has 1MB of Flash so is it possible that we can do 1MB of application code using OTA..

Waiting for your reply?

Thanks

Sameer Narkar

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The 1MB flash will hold all the applications that you can boot from. So it will usually inlcude your factory reset application, which is a read only application that you don't every update, but can boot from in case something wrong happens and you lost your current running application (during update for example). There is also the factory reset DCT. which is the default configuration. you main OTA application can come next. I'd say those are the minimum 3 files that you need to store. Other options include adding a read only resource file system, or a WiFi firmware ware image, etc. The sum off sizes of all the files should be less than 1MB.

The Multiapp file system which control all those files in the flash, requires 1 sector (4 K). The rest is for your files.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards

Bassem