Difficulties using the parallel input bus (PI) in UDBs

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
JeBe_4068061
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome! First question asked First reply posted

I need to route 16 bits of data into 2 UDBs, do some processing in the UDBs, then DMA the 16-bit result from the UDB A0 registers into memory.

This means I need to use the UDB parallel input (PI). Surprisingly, very few Cypress examples use this input; the only one I could find is the parallel adder project in AN81256, but this uses the PO bus to output the result, whereas I'm using DMA.

The simplest solution would be to use the 'cy_psoc3_dp16' configuration to create a 16-bit datapath in 2 UDBs, but that isn't possible; dp16 doesn't support PI and PO, so you have to use 2 instances of 'cy_psoc3_dp' iinstead.

The documentation gives the impression that cy_psoc3_dp doesn't support register accesses, so it looked like the PI input couldn't be used with CPU registers, but I thought it was worth checking to see if this is true.

The good news is that it can be made to work, see the attached project; you just need to position the 2 sets of UDB registers so they are adjacent, and they'll produce an answer in a 16-bit register. However, I've had to use some messy register definitions; it'd be a lot easier if cy_psoc_dp16 could just support PI and PO as standard.

So although I have a workable solution, I'd like to know the answer: why can't PI and PO be made available in cy_psoc_dp16 (or a variant of it)?

Thanks,

Jeremy Bentham

---

The following project was tested on a CY8CKIT-059 (PSOC 5LP); it reads the UDB A0 values using both CPU & DMA accesses, and prints the 16-bit result on the Kitprog serial link, namely:

UDB test

CPU read = 1234h, DMA read = 1234h

See the top of main.c for additional notes.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Jeremy,

Generally, two separate 8-bit UDB datapath blocks will not behave as a single 16-bit one, particularly if some math is being performed inside UDB.

Attached is example of the parallel input into 16-bit UDB datapath using FIFOin custom component by Bradley Budlong. It was specifically designed as fast intermediate storage for digital data, that need to be transferred to RAM by DMA (slow). In this exampe a wide control register (ControlReg32) is used to write 16-bit data into FIFOin on every Clock_STRB. Once FIFO is half-filled, the data begin transferred into RAM buffer using DMA. The ControlReg32 is a custom component, similar to standard Control Register, but with wider (up to 32-bit) bus output, it is already included into the project. FIFOin library is attached and must be unzipped and imported into Project->Dependencies.

I recommend using FIFOin component as starting example of wide parallel input to UDB, and then further modifying it as needed. From personal experience, this can be very mind-boggling and time-consuming entertainment.

/odissey1

CReg_FIFO_RAM_01a_scm.png

CReg_FIFO_RAM_01a_outp.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
lock attach
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Jeremy,

Generally, two separate 8-bit UDB datapath blocks will not behave as a single 16-bit one, particularly if some math is being performed inside UDB.

Attached is example of the parallel input into 16-bit UDB datapath using FIFOin custom component by Bradley Budlong. It was specifically designed as fast intermediate storage for digital data, that need to be transferred to RAM by DMA (slow). In this exampe a wide control register (ControlReg32) is used to write 16-bit data into FIFOin on every Clock_STRB. Once FIFO is half-filled, the data begin transferred into RAM buffer using DMA. The ControlReg32 is a custom component, similar to standard Control Register, but with wider (up to 32-bit) bus output, it is already included into the project. FIFOin library is attached and must be unzipped and imported into Project->Dependencies.

I recommend using FIFOin component as starting example of wide parallel input to UDB, and then further modifying it as needed. From personal experience, this can be very mind-boggling and time-consuming entertainment.

/odissey1

CReg_FIFO_RAM_01a_scm.png

CReg_FIFO_RAM_01a_outp.png

0 Likes

Thanks for posting this response, it is an excellent example of a parallel interface, but unfortunately uses a lot of hand-written Verilog, and I'm not sure my coding skills are (yet) up to the task of modifying it.

This does highlight the gap between the easy-to-use graphical software tools, and the complexity of Verilog coding; I was hoping that some tweaks to cy_psoc_dp16 could provide a bridge between the two worlds, making PI and PO more accessible to those of us who aren't experienced Verilog coders.

Jeremy Bentham

0 Likes

Jeremy,

I agree that FIFOin component is quite convoluted. But the essential portion from it are 2 chained datapath and parallel input. By comparing datapath section of the parallel adder from AN81256 (or your original example) and FIFOin, you can find a solution.

At the end it will look like parallel adder demo: on one clock it reads PI, on another clock it does some math. You can ignore parallel output if not needed and use DMA to readout registers.

Is there any specific math that you want to perform in the UDB?

/odissey1

0 Likes

Before closing this topic, thought I should point out the 2 bugs in my udb_test code, that cancel each other out, so it gives the appearance of working OK.

The incorrect lines in main.c are::

#define UDB_1_A0   udb_1_test__A0_REG    // [8-bit access]
CyDmaTdSetConfiguration(dma_td, 2, DMA_DISABLE_TD, TD_INC_SRC_ADR|TD_INC_DST_ADR); // [incr src & dest addrs]

The definition refers to the 8-bit version of the A0 register, so all DMA accesses will be 8 bits, not 16. This would normally mean that the DMA controller transfers 2 bytes from the same location, so reads the UDB1 A0 value twice. However, I have also set TD_INC_SRC_ADR, so the source address is incrementing, and the A0 values of both UDBs are copied OK.

So this demo produces the right answer, but if you tried to DMA several words from the UDBs, the incrementing source address would fetch garbage values from adjacent UDB registers.

The corrected code is:

#define UDB_1_A0  udb_1_test__16BIT_A0_REG  // 16-bit access
CyDmaTdSetConfiguration(dma_td, 2, DMA_DISABLE_TD, TD_INC_DST_ADR); // Increment dest addr only

In reading about DMA accesses, I'd ignored the bit about 8 and 16-bit spokes, thinking that the DMA configuration would sort this out. But in reality, the width of a spoke is defined by its address value alone; if you specify an 8-bit spoke address, nothing in the DMA configuration will change it to a 16-bit transfer - and believe me, I've wasted a lot of time trying, before I found the real cause.

Jeremy Bentham

0 Likes