How to configure CY8CMBR3108 in production

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
pitrc_4034161
Level 1
Level 1

I have successfully configured CY8CMBR3108 capsense chip using EZ-Click and CY3280-MBR3 dev kit. I effectively used the dev kit as a I2C bridge.

I would like to have a method of programming CY8CMBR3108 in production i.e. I don't want to give EZ-Click to production operatives because they could change the settings. I want to pass them only .hex or .iic file generated by EZ-Click.

What PC software should I use? I have tried Bridge Control Panel but without success. It allow me to open .hex file generated by EZ-Click and recognizes CY3280-MBR3 but it does not seem to be sending data to the target device. Also it allows for editing the configuration so it's not good.

I have also purchased MiniProg3 but it does not support capsense devices despite its datasheet suggesting it could be used as I2C bridge.

How to configure CY8CMBR3108 in production environment?

0 Likes
1 Solution

In case anybody else having the same problem it has been resolved by rolling back firmware on RPM Systems programmer. Their support was helpful and provided me with the older working version of software.

The programmer firmware version that supports CY8CMBR3108 is 3.101 Later versions might not support this chip so be careful with updates.

Programmer firmware comes with MP Manager installer so if you download the latest MP Manager from the website and then update firmware it might not work.

The combination that works for me is: MP Manager 1.22.34 and firmware version 3.101

As for Elnec I contacted their UK distributor and it looks like they would have to add CY8CMBR3108 to their programmer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi

In order to configure MBR3 for mass production, Cypress recommends using a third-party programmer from RPM systems corporation.

pastedImage_0.png

Please refer the MBR3 Design guide, page 61 for more details.

Link: https://www.cypress.com/file/46366/download

Thanks and regards

Harigovind

0 Likes

Thanks.

I have bought RPM programmer (MPQ-PSOC). It worked but only once. It stopped working once I upgraded its firmware. The reason I upgraded it was that MP Manager application was nagging me for it.

After paying a few hundred dollars I would expect to get something that works. I cannot see any option of rolling the firmware back and waiting for RPM Systems support response.

Is there any other programmer you can recommend?

0 Likes
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi

You can use the Elnec programmer.

Link: https://www.elnec.com/en/

Cypress also has partnership with companies that can be found in the following link:

https://www.cypress.com/products/device-programmer-system-partners#tabs-0-bottom_side-2

Thanks and regards

Harigovind

0 Likes

In case anybody else having the same problem it has been resolved by rolling back firmware on RPM Systems programmer. Their support was helpful and provided me with the older working version of software.

The programmer firmware version that supports CY8CMBR3108 is 3.101 Later versions might not support this chip so be careful with updates.

Programmer firmware comes with MP Manager installer so if you download the latest MP Manager from the website and then update firmware it might not work.

The combination that works for me is: MP Manager 1.22.34 and firmware version 3.101

As for Elnec I contacted their UK distributor and it looks like they would have to add CY8CMBR3108 to their programmer.

0 Likes