I have a new target board with STM32F429 and 1DX module. How do I download code for the first time?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MiRo_263836
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 likes received 50 replies posted

I have a new target board with STM32F429 and 1DX module and will need to download code.  I have a J-Link programmer / debugger and want to program with a hex file.  I can't find a hex file, only elf and bin in the build folder.  How do I get a hex file?

0 Likes
1 Reply
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

You can check STM32F469 porting in WICED​ and Adding ST-Link support in WICED​ to understand how the code is getting downloaded in a STM32F469 from WICED. As you have wanted to use J-Link to download the code instead of WICED Studio, you have to modify the J-Link driver to LibusbK driver and modify the WICED make target like: ./make snip.scan-<platform_name> JTAG=jlink download run"; details about this can be found at Downloading and debugging CYW43907 using Jlink Segger

Regarding elf, hex, bin dilemma, WICED build system does not generate a hex file, but WICED comes bundled with an objcopy tool (43xxx_Wi-Fi/tools/ARM_GNU/Win32/arm-none-eabi/bin/objcopy.exe) which can be used to create a hex file from elf file. The command should be similar to : objcopy -O ihex input.elf output.hex (You need to check the attributes in the elf file though and pass paramters to objcopy accordingly)