hi, I tried to solve the problem that the S25FL256SAGNFI001(QUAR SPI FLASH) IS NOT NORMAL WORKING.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kwchc_4095996
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried to solve the problem that the S25FL256SAGNFI001(WSON, QUAR SPI FLASH) IS NOT NORMAL WORKING.

The driver code is normal with S25FL256SAGMFI01(16 SSOP) on old PCB version.

I changed the chipset to the  S25FL256SAGNFI001(8 WSON) for new PCB but it has not worked with the same driver code.

According to the data sheet, there seems not to be different between two chipset except their type, number of pin and package size.

We tried to  jumper by wire from the pads on the new PCB to the 16 SSOP chipset pins. It is normal.

so, the patterns of the new PCB appear to be normal.

The problem is verification error.

I neet to help....

0 Likes
1 Solution
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi,

Could you please provide more details about the issue that you observe? Please let us know how you are testing and observing this issue.

Other than the difference in package and number of pins, these devices have different sector architectures.

S25FL256SAGMFI01(16 SSOP) has uniform 256KB sectors

S25FL256SAGNFI001(8 WSON) has uniform 64KB sectors

Did you adjust your code to support 64KB sectors?

Also, please double check that there are no soldering issues for WSON device on you PCB.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi,

Could you please provide more details about the issue that you observe? Please let us know how you are testing and observing this issue.

Other than the difference in package and number of pins, these devices have different sector architectures.

S25FL256SAGMFI01(16 SSOP) has uniform 256KB sectors

S25FL256SAGNFI001(8 WSON) has uniform 64KB sectors

Did you adjust your code to support 64KB sectors?

Also, please double check that there are no soldering issues for WSON device on you PCB.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes

Hi, thank you for your help.

I am sorry there was a typing error.

S25FL256SAGMFI01(16 SSOP) 256KB --> S25FL256SAGMFIR01 64KB sector

so Sector is same.

-. I have a EVM Kit that is provided by TI which board name is TMDXIDK5718.

It uses S25FL256SAGMFIR01 , 16SOIC type.

-. I made new unit that is smaller size than TI EVM kit.

so I had to use the WSON type(S25FL256SAGMFI001) that is smaller than 16SOIC type.

the driver code is same whether WSON or 16SOIC. the code is provided by TI EVM Kit.

-. now, the new unit that uses S25FL256SAGMFI001 is not working. there is always verification error after SPI operation.

I observed the signals by scope, SPI cs, clk, d0 ~ 3. they appears normal.

I changed chipset to new another but the result is same.

Of course, WSON has not two pins by 16 SOIC type. one is reset. another is VIO.

According to the data sheet, WSON has the pins in the chipset not assinging to external pin.

so, I tried to jumer by wires to 16SOIC on new Unit. it works well.

-. I don't know what the problem is.

-. I have got the problem for two weeks.

-. Frankly speaking, I think there would be some problem according to the chipset type.  

0 Likes

Hi,

Could you provide more details about how you test and reproduce this issue? Which operation to flash device is failing? Are you able to read device ID from WSON device? Can you attach the waveform for failing operation?

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes

Hi,

The 16SOIC type device is working well by a Driver source code that is provided by TI.

but WSON type is not working by the same code.

ID can not be read from WSON type. the error is verification.

I guess that PCB patterns might be normal.  the 16 SOIC device is working well by using the Patterns by jumper wire.

WSON device was changed to new one but the result was same.

0 Likes

Hi,

As you are not able to read device ID from the WSON device, they will be some issue with the SPI communication?

Is the device soldered correctly on the PCB? Could you please double check this?

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes
kwchc_4095996
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

See my unit..

I guess that the PCB pattern is normal..

WSON type_Verification Error on my unit.jpgchanging WSON to the 16SOIC chip by jumping on my unit..jpg

Right side is the chaged unit to 16SOIC type..

it is normally working by same driver software.

so I think there seems to be different between two type...

What do you think about it?

0 Likes

Hi,

Since you are not able to read device ID from WSON device, I suspect there is some issue with the SPI communication.

Is it possible for you to double check the WSON device is soldered properly on your PCB? Please make sure that all the pins are properly soldered.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes

Hi,

ID seems to be not read...it is always Manufacture ID : 0xFF and Device ID : 0xFF.

16SOIC type is same result..but read and write test is successful ...

WSON is not sucessful both ID read and the read and write testing...

I don't understand what the result is successful for testing read and write even though ID read is fail.

I think that the driver code would be not correct.

Anyway, I will try to check all of the condition again.

0 Likes

Hi,

ID is able to read for two part. One is manufacture ID '1'.

Another is Device ID "0x18". It is Hexa value.

But the read & write testing is unsuccessful.

EVM kit(SOIC16 type) supplied by TI is succeful on the same code.

I don't know why..

TI community recommanded to ask it to memory manufacture.

0 Likes

Hi,

Can you share the SPI waveform for device ID read, memory read and program operations for WSON device?

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes

Hi,

I got the waveforms for WSON type.

It seems to be difficult to send them on this window..the potographs are about 90Mbytes.

is there any method to send them to you? email...etc..

please, check the sevral waveforms..

0 Likes

Hi,

if you don't have any tip more, Can I remove all of the chattings?

0 Likes