PD and DRP analyzer log for CCG3

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
5 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 100 replies posted

Hello

Please find attached.

The log was acquired by connecting the ThinkPad (T470s) and the customer's board (mounted with CCG3) with Type-C.Finally, I'm thinking taht the DRP is working properly, and I think that the board side can be set as power-source and DFP.

* Since I have only HEX files as CCG3 custom FW, it is not possible to check PDO in EZ-Config, so it is judged from the contents of SourceCapability as Msg from the board.

I would like to clarify some of the attached logs.

Q1)
After DR_SWAP is done on the 9th line of the log, "Soft-Reset" is occured, but I want to know the reason.

Q2)

After DR_SWAP, at line 17 of the log, "Vconn-Swap" is occured, but I want to know the reason

Q3)
There is VDM (vender defined message) in the 29th line of the log, but please tell me the reason why VDM occured and the role of VDM here. The 31st line shows VDM, but I would like to know the above as well

Q4)
ProductType is "Error" on line 31 of the log, but I want to know the reason.

Q5)

I would like to know the reason why the PS_RDY log Data Objs is “0”?

Best Regards

Arai

0 Likes
1 Solution
HirotakaT_91
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Hi Arai-san,

A1)

As a premise, customer board (implemented CCG3) is enumerate as Source and DFP whereas T470s starts with Sink and UFP.

Although I do not know the features of custom FW, customer board might want to become a UFP and T470s sends DR_Swap.

Since there are no information of Configuration and FW, it is just an assumption.

A2)

VCONN_Swap will be sent by either Port Partner to request an exchange of VCONN Source role responsibility.

Same as above, no information of Configuration and FW, it is difficult to esimate it.

A3) A4)

VDM which stands for Vendor Defined Message is sent from T470s. VDM is provided to allow vendors to exchange information.

VDM is structured Header, VDM Header, and VDOs. The VDM Header provides command space to allow vendors to customize Messages for their own purposes. We are not able to know.

See "6.4.4  Vendor Defined Message" of PD Spec.

A5)

Because there are no Data Object such as Power Data Object (PDO), Reqest Data Object (RDO), Vendor Data Object (VDO), etc.

Your next action may two things.

1. Contact with developer for the FW and configuration if you know.

2. Read PD Spec.

Best regards,

Hirotaka Takayama

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
HirotakaT_91
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Hi Arai-san,

A1)

As a premise, customer board (implemented CCG3) is enumerate as Source and DFP whereas T470s starts with Sink and UFP.

Although I do not know the features of custom FW, customer board might want to become a UFP and T470s sends DR_Swap.

Since there are no information of Configuration and FW, it is just an assumption.

A2)

VCONN_Swap will be sent by either Port Partner to request an exchange of VCONN Source role responsibility.

Same as above, no information of Configuration and FW, it is difficult to esimate it.

A3) A4)

VDM which stands for Vendor Defined Message is sent from T470s. VDM is provided to allow vendors to exchange information.

VDM is structured Header, VDM Header, and VDOs. The VDM Header provides command space to allow vendors to customize Messages for their own purposes. We are not able to know.

See "6.4.4  Vendor Defined Message" of PD Spec.

A5)

Because there are no Data Object such as Power Data Object (PDO), Reqest Data Object (RDO), Vendor Data Object (VDO), etc.

Your next action may two things.

1. Contact with developer for the FW and configuration if you know.

2. Read PD Spec.

Best regards,

Hirotaka Takayama

0 Likes
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
5 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 100 replies posted

I understood.

Thank you for your reply.

MAcnica/Arai