Bootloader Changes to stay away from?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MiSt_296941
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

We've just released a product that is field upgradable so it consists of a Bootloader and a single Bootloadable.  It was developed using Creator 4.1.  We are now moving to Creator 4.2 and I notice that cyboot changed and Creator is complaining that the Bootloader project needs updated.  Is this going to cause any issue when we release a new version of the Bootloadable that customers could then try to install on the originally released product (with the original Bootloader)?

I am looking for general guidance on what to allow as far as changes in the Bootloader and what to stay away from.

It's a bit annoying that Creator "pushes" you to change to newer versions of components when you may not want to do that.  I don't see a way of telling it to quit bugging me about updating components for a particular project.

Mike.

0 Likes
1 Solution
JOLO_264146
Level 4
Level 4
First like received Welcome!

Hi Mike,

I checked with a friend that had similar problem. Sometimes, working on the same version of PC, both components change (Bootloader and bootloadable) and the problem appears also. His method to avoid the problem: just generated the Bootloader, he keeps the code generated (hex, elf). When he is making the new code (bootloadable), under "dependencies", he redirect always to those files previously commented. He never updates the "bootloader" component, If he is using a new version of PC, he continues using previous files generated.

The problem that you observe is the reason I don't use the CY system to update my FW. (It's my personal point of view): to depend of the version of a bootloader it's not viable. I've other problems associated with the updating (not related with CY) that it makes me not feasible the CY system

B.R.

Gil

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
LinglingG_46
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 10 questions asked

1: If you want to move your project into the new version of creator, I think it is better to use the new component.

2:   Normally, there's no problem if you use the newer versions, these versions will be compatible.

3:  When you getting start developing your project, keep use the same one creator if possible.

0 Likes
MiSt_296941
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

LinglingG_46, Unfortunately the reply isn't very helpful.  I would like specific answers to my situation.  Also your statement about newer component versions being compatible is NOT always the case!  The major update that Cypress did to the EmEEPROM component was very short sighted.  The component parameters passed changed, its execution time significantly changed, and its usage of Flash memory changed (it added overhead).  Cypress should have created a new component with the new functionality.  I CANNOT use the new version - it makes no sense to slow my EmEEPROM write time by a factor of 3!

Mike.

0 Likes

Mike,

From the question description, I know the product has been released. So it is recommend that you use the old version (PSoC Creator 4.1).

We can't guarantee that it will not cause any error in the new version, if you meet any error (not the user error), you can contact cypress FAE or Distributor FAE.

The guidance to use bootloader and bootloadable, you should refer to the component datasheet and cypress application note.

It is difficult to list the matters you need attention, we don't know what you have known.

maybe you can divide the questions in some questions, just like what you have meet, or how to use this function.

0 Likes

OK, I agree the safest thing to do is to say with the same Creator version when you are in production.  However this has its issues:

There is no reason the Bootloadable can't move to the new version and because components are often update for bug fixes, you really have to update the Bootloadable.  But that leaves two related projects (usually in one workspace) at two different versions.  This means you really have to upgrade to 4.2 and then Creator is going to tell you that both projects need to have components updated.  You would only update the Bootloadable, but then forever you are going to be reminded with the warning triangle that something is out of date (in the Bootloader).  As the years go by it's going to be easy to forget why they aren't supposed to be upgraded.  Seems that a solution for this is needed.

In my opinion, Cypress needs to supply a document that explains what changes you can make in a Bootloader without causing upgrade issues after you have gone to production.  I have a feeling that some useful changes would not be an issue.  But this is Cypress' part and components and they should be the one to provide guidelines - rather than just take the easy way out and say - don't upgrade.

Mike.

0 Likes

Mike,

I agree with your opinion~

0 Likes

OK, so what is Cypress going to do about this and when?

Mike.

0 Likes
JOLO_264146
Level 4
Level 4
First like received Welcome!

Hi Mike,

I checked with a friend that had similar problem. Sometimes, working on the same version of PC, both components change (Bootloader and bootloadable) and the problem appears also. His method to avoid the problem: just generated the Bootloader, he keeps the code generated (hex, elf). When he is making the new code (bootloadable), under "dependencies", he redirect always to those files previously commented. He never updates the "bootloader" component, If he is using a new version of PC, he continues using previous files generated.

The problem that you observe is the reason I don't use the CY system to update my FW. (It's my personal point of view): to depend of the version of a bootloader it's not viable. I've other problems associated with the updating (not related with CY) that it makes me not feasible the CY system

B.R.

Gil

0 Likes

Thanks Gil for the direction!  I suppose it is always safer to not allow any changes to the Bootloader...

Mike.

0 Likes