Updating to PSoC Creator 4.2 breaks "stuff" - WORKAROUND

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JamesT_21
10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored First solution authored

As noted in a couple of threads, for some people, updating to the PSoC Creator 4.2 production release causes projects to no longer build. Here's what's happening, and how to work around the problem.

The released version of PSoC Creator 4.2 is incompatible with earlier versions of PDL 3.0.1 The updater does not handle this correctly. If you have an earlier version of PDL 3.0.1 installed (from the Beta community, for example), and you update your Creator installation, things break.

We know what caused the problem, and we are working to make sure the root cause is fixed ASAP, but that won't be instantaneous.

WORKAROUND

Go to the PDL product page, scroll down to the Related Files section, and download the file "Download PDL 3.0.1 Complete Setup.exe" . Run the installer to update your PDL.

Jim Trudeau

Senior Principal Applications Engineer

Message was edited by: James Trudeau, providing an easier workaround now that it's in place.

2 Replies
BUTA_1301626
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

I came across this problem with me. PDL version is very important, especially when working on psoc 6 samples. we need to pay attention to using pdl 3.1.0 or 3.0.1 when using the sample code. because some 3.1.0 are running with some 3.0.1.

0 Likes

Yes! The PDL is a moving target, so it is important to use versions of the library consistently. Do not mix them.

Like the changes from 3.0.1 > 3.0.4, it is almost certain that the versions will be subtly incompatible with each other. You can download any released version from the PDL web page, and see what's changed or get the release notes. What should cause no problem is updating to use a newer version. There may be an odd case where they are not forward compatible, but I'm not aware of any. In newer versions we may deprecate a function call, but typically there is a redirect to ensure you're old function call uses the new code.

Thanks for the feedback.