CYUSB3014 can boot from I2C but cannot boot from USB mode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lvha_3910906
Level 1
Level 1

The PMODE[2:0] pin is Z11(USB boot):failure and no response on PC.

The PMODE[2:0] pin is Z1Z(I2C boot):can be identified and working properly.(Of course,  I solder an external EEPROM and switch to I2C boot.)

Why the PMODE pins are incorrect in USB boot but correct in I2C boot? These pins are pulled up by a 10K resistor, including RESET. This pin of INT_N_CTL15 does not care about it (I found that CYUSB3KIT-003 does the same). I tested the floating pin voltage to be around 0.2V. What caused this problem?  How can I make the chip recognize PMODE?

I compared the evaluation kit (CYUSB3KIT-003). On the kit, the INT_N_CTL15 (L8 of 3014) pin is high when booting from I2C, and low when starting from USB mode. But the development board I designed, whether it is USB or I2C, this pin is high level. Will the USB mode boot failure be related to this?

Sincere regards

Haisen

0 Likes
10 Replies
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Haisen,

Please measure the voltage at the PMODE[1:0] pins and ensure it is logic one at boot.

Also if you have flash can you try 0Z1 combination? (The idea is to check PMODE[0] pin)

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes

I didn't use external FLASH but I tried 0Z1(SPI, On failure,USB boot is Enabled) and still can't start. I measured the 10K pull-up resistor (connected to the end of the PMODE). 0 and 1(3.3V) are normal.

0 Likes

I checked the related thread and found a similar problem.

Unable to boot from I2C EEPROM with CYUSB3014

Is it related to the reset time? Can I correct it by modifying the configuration RC around the RESET pin?

Sincere regards,

Haisen

0 Likes
Hemanth

Hi Haisen,

Since you verified that the PMODE pins are really at 'ZI1', yes, you can try increasing the reset time.

Also please verify the schematic checklist mentioned in the app note AN70707

(When you mentioned that the 'ZIZ' mode is working fine, you see that the device enumerated with the firmware programmed in the EEPROM right?)

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes

Yes, because I soldered an external EEPROM. On the PC, The related device (custom name FX3) can be found in the Image Device of the Device Manager and can receive correct data transmitted from the sensor to the PC via the FPGA. (This is what I mentioned can work properly)

In addition, I have doubled the reset time and still have not improved.

Sincere regards,

Haisen

0 Likes
Hemanth

Hi Haisen,

When the PMODE is 'ZIZ', if you corrupt first few bytes of the firmware image, can you please check if the device is falling back to USB Boot?

Can you please attach the schematic?

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

I also have a spare board that only solders the 3014 and the corresponding power supply and USB connection, and even the EEPROM is not soldered. I still haven't improved using "Z1Z".

0 Likes
Hemanth

Hi Haisen,

One more clarification:

- Can you confirm whether there is a activity in the device manager/not when you connect the device with PMODE Z11?

- Is there any device coming up in unknown device section (Or is there any refresh happening in the device manger when you connect the device?) - I just want to verify the scenario where the device enumerated but did not appear in USB Controllers section since there is no driver installed.

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes

I am sure that there is no response in the Device Manager when I connect to the PC with PMODE:Z11, because I have the evaluation board (CYUSB3KIT-003), so the driver of 3014 on the PC is normal. And I use the USB port detection software(USB view), also shows " No Device Connected "

In the registry editor of the PC(win+r+"regedit"), if I2C boot, I can find two new contents such as VID_04B4&PID_00F8 under LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\ and the PC desktop will prompt "Driver successfully installed". This should indicate that the enumeration was successful. But when the USB mode is selected, it does not respond.

Sincere regards,

Haisen

0 Likes
Hemanth

Hi Haisen,

You had mentioned that PMODE Z1Z (I2C Mode) works fine. Can you mention in this case, if the device enumerated as USB 3.0? Or 2.0? If it enumerated as USB 3.0, then can you change it to USB 2.0 and check?

If it is failing in this case(I2C mode and USB 2.0), can you check which API is failing? - If it fails, most likely the issue may be in the USB 2.0 lines (D+/D-).

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes