Programming PSOC4 with external voltage

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ignuc_2410326
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm using 5 pins of Miniprog3 with SWD protocol to program my MCU: CY8C4247AZI-M485 .

I'm having trouble programming my MCU with external voltage supplied (5V) - it doesn't recognize the device.

When I power the MCU from the Miniprog3 with 3.3V, I can program it without any problem.

Besides that, the MCU works just fine with 5V.

Has anyone encountered this problem and has a solution?

Best regards,

Igal

0 Likes
1 Solution

In your project click on Systems tab in Design Wide Resources (.cydwr) file present under your project in the project explorer to obtain the window as shown below:

vddd.PNG

Here set the operating conditions highlighted in yellow and then check if it works.

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
20 Replies
JOLO_264146
Level 4
Level 4
First like received Welcome!

Hi Igal,

I suppose that you have configured minprog3 programming mode for "reset" and voltage "5.0" (I'm seeing the PsoC Programmer configuration), right?

Regards

Gil

0 Likes

Hi Gil,

The miniprog programming mode is configured to "Reset" and voltage to "3.3V'.

When the voltage is configured to 5V, the miniprog doesn't recognize the MCU.

Best regards,

Igal

0 Likes

If your board is self-powered (MiniProg3 is not powering the board), choose the “external” option for the power as highlighted in blue in Figure.

pastedImage_77.png

Figure: PSoC Creator Port Configuration

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi Dheeraj,

Thank you for your answer, but that's not my problem.

• When my board is self powered (miniprog power is set for external), the miniprog doesn't recognize the MCU.
  • When my board is powered only from the miniprog by 5V, the miniprog doesn't recognize the MCU.
  • When my board is powered only from the miniprog by 3.3V, the miniprog recognizes the MCU and I'm able to program.

My board power is 5V and the MCU works fine with that voltage after I'm programming it using the miniprog and 3.3V.

It's just doesn't seem like normal operation, that I need to turn off my power, program the MCU using 3.3V supply with the miniprog, disconnect it and turn the power to supply 5V to the MCU.

Best regards,

Igal

0 Likes

Can you please attach the log in PSoC Programmer Window when you try to program at 5V?

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Attached:

Internal 5V config:

Internal 5V Config.jpeg

Internal 5V error:

Internal 5V- error.jpeg

Internal 3.3V config:

Internal 3.3V config.jpeg

Internal 3.3V success:

internal 3.3V - success.jpeg

External 5V config:

External 5V- config.jpeg

External 5V error:

External 5V - error.jpeg

Best regards,

Igal

0 Likes

Hello Igal,

Please check if you have the right power pin connections as mentioned in page#6 in this link: https://www.cypress.com/file/141176/download . Attach your schematic for review.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi Dheeraj,

It all seems OK (especially if it works, just the programming part has this issue). Attached a picture from schematics:

pastedImage_0.png

Best regards,

Igal

0 Likes

I have experienced similar problems with a custom board. There were other electronics on the board, and the Miniprog was not able to power the complete board, so it failed. The Miniprog3 can deliver about 200mA, however I do not know if this current is voltage dependent.

In my case the Miniprog did recognize the MCU with external power.

0 Likes

Have you set the Operating conditions under Systems Tab of Design Wide Resources to 5V in accordance to your schematic? Please try that and let me how it goes

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Could you please elaborate on what you're talking about?

I have no idea where to search what you've suggested.

Best regards,

Igal

0 Likes

In your project click on Systems tab in Design Wide Resources (.cydwr) file present under your project in the project explorer to obtain the window as shown below:

vddd.PNG

Here set the operating conditions highlighted in yellow and then check if it works.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi Dheeraj,

It indeed helped to program the MCU with 5V or 3.3V from the miniprog, but the external voltage remained as error.

Best regards,

Igal

0 Likes

Great. Do you have anything connected on the XRES lines? Please refer to the troubleshooting guide to solve this: Troubleshooting PSoC® 3/4/5LP Programming/Debugging Issues - KBA210619

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Just a pull up resistor of 4.7K to 5V.

I always used a pull up resistor for all my projects, although according to the guide you've sent, I don't need it:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

Yes, please make the changes and check if you're then able to program it.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi,

It didn't help. I had high hopes for this solution

Best regards,

Igal

0 Likes

Me too. Can you please attach the complete schematic for review?

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Sorry, Can't do that.

I'll send a screen shot of just the MCU.

The SWD programming pins aren't connected to anything else but a connector to miniprog.

pastedImage_0.png

Best regards,

Igal

0 Likes

Yeah I understand, I meant the schematic of just the MCU itself. Everything seems okay, except the resistors on the XRES pin which I believe you have changed from the last interaction. This is how it is connected internally which explains why you don't need a pull resistor.

XRES.PNG

I hope the connections between the Miniprog and the target are as shown below:

XRES2.PNG

Since you are using unregulated supply mode, I hope the external power supply is between the range 1.8V to 5.5V.

Also, please attach a scope on XRES to check if the line is being pulled low or not. Let me know your observations.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes