ELF and HEX files with the bootloader/bootloadable

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
damac_1605476
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

I have a project based on a PSoC4 (4246) that needs to use the bootloader. Everything seemed to work great until I tried to compile the bootloader project on a different computer. I have the bootloader and the application in the same workspace. I had archived the workspace  and moved it to a computer in our lab to do some testing. I recompiled the bootloader without any code change to make the .hex and .elf files for the bootloadable block in the application since the minimal archive process did not save those files,  and it would not work with the bootloader that had been programmed into the board. After a little head scratching and detective work, I found out that even though the two different computers generate the exact same *.hex file, the *.elf files are slightly different, One byte near the beginning of the file and 14 bytes near the end of the of the elf file are different (Beyond Compare is a great program). Why is this?  And is there anyway around this? Our software release process requires that the software be able to be re-built on a "typical" computer by our software test team. But if the *.elf files are different and those are needed to make a successful bootloadable application then I'm in trouble!

Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution
GeonaP_26
250 solutions authored 100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored

The bootloader hex file programmed on to the device needs to be provided as bootloadable project dependency. If you expect any flash consumption changes, please use 'Manual Application image placement' feature elaborated in Bootloader Host Error: “The Flash Row is not Valid for the Selected Array” - KBA221445

Please share us the PSoC Creator version details in both systems, project build settings, bootloader project, bootloader hex, and elf files.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
GeonaP_26
250 solutions authored 100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored

The bootloader hex file programmed on to the device needs to be provided as bootloadable project dependency. If you expect any flash consumption changes, please use 'Manual Application image placement' feature elaborated in Bootloader Host Error: “The Flash Row is not Valid for the Selected Array” - KBA221445

Please share us the PSoC Creator version details in both systems, project build settings, bootloader project, bootloader hex, and elf files.

0 Likes

Well, I'm not sure what to say... I got permission to send the bootloader files, but not the source for the application - since we do DOD work here... so I wrote up a quick little application that just blinks a light to make sure that the bootloader issue was still happening, and now I can't seem to break it! I can even load the original application with Bootloadable pointing to any of the different bootloader hex and elf files. I must have been doing something else wrong. I'm glad it's working correctly but I am a bit confused as to what I was doing wrong before - You think I would be used to that feeling by now since I seem to spend a lot of time there...

Thanks for the response

0 Likes