view wicked sense data in mac laptop

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just received my wicked sense tag and was able to see the sensor data in my android application. How can I get the data in a mac laptop?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

assegid you can enable traces in the wiced sense app by

1. commenting out line 50. 

2. Uncomment the ble_trace you want for which sensor.

3. Then use how to get debug traces ? to get debug traces from wiced sense kit.

-Kevin

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

assegid you can enable traces in the wiced sense app by

1. commenting out line 50. 

2. Uncomment the ble_trace you want for which sensor.

3. Then use how to get debug traces ? to get debug traces from wiced sense kit.

-Kevin

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Kevin. So I have a couple of problems. First my laptop cannot find the wicked sense tag for pairing. I have a 2013 mac book Pro 2.3Ghz i7 running 10.9.5. Second, assuming I can pair and connect to the wicked sense, what application can I use in the mac to view the data. Do I need to use terminal or is there GUI application available?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

assegid Have you downloaded the SDK yet? 

I suggest you start here WICED Smart User's Guide, it will give you more background on what you need to do to set up.  There is a debug screen in the SDK. 

-Kevin

0 Likes

There is a version of LightBlue (BLE Scanner) that runs on the Mac as well: Mac App Store - LightBlue

Otherwise, once the SDK is installed and the corresponding USB to Serial drivers are installed (WICED Sense uses the SiLabs drivers, see the WICED Sense Table of Contents for links), then you could lauch a terminal session and view the traffic over the serial port assigned to the USB driver.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you mwf_mmfae. The LightBlue app was helpful. Now I can connect to the tag. However, I still see no data coming into my laptop. I tried using both USB and BLE. When using USB, I see 2 ports added tty.SLAB_USBtoUART and tty.SLAB_USBtoUART15. I used the screen command to see the data, but could not see any on either. Do I need to add a baudrate, if so what speed? When using bluetooth I do not see any new ports added and the Lightblue app does not give me any info about what port it is using. So I am not sure what port to use in terminal. Kevin above also suggested using debug screen in the sdk. But I do not see any apps for receiving data from the 'wicked sense' in the SDK. Perhaps I am missing something. Can someone give me some details on how to use the SDK to monitor data sent by 'wicked sense' tag?

0 Likes

There is an Android app here: WICED Sense - Android Apps on Google Play

That you can download to your handset and monitor information being sent from the WICED Sense Tag,

There is also an iOS version.

All source for both is provided on the website and linked here: WICED Sense Table of Contents

There are no applications inside of the SDK that function in the same manner.

For eavy duty development, we recommend the TAG3 development board as WICED Sense was primarily develop as a "show and tell" type of product.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have already used the android app that works well. So there is no way to get the data in a computer with BLE connection? I am not asking for a GUI screen, just simple raw data. Is the data sent from 'wicked sense' by request or is it streamed continuously? At what frequency and baud rate?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know you can see ble packets with Linux but not sure about Macs.  I still think the easiest way to see the raw data that is being sent is to just grab debug traces.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you please give me a little more detail on how to 'grab debug traces'? How do I setup the system? Which code do I use in the SDK?

0 Likes

Have you tried the Trace Viewer inside of the SDK?  The traces are encoded as of SDK 2.x, so the trace viewer is the easiest way to view traces.  I know this feature works on the Windows version of the SDK, and I believe it works on the OSX version as well.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

View my first answer, tells you exactly how you can get traces for the wiced sense app.

0 Likes