How to configure driver for AP/STA mode simultaneously?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AnNo_4036916
Level 1
Level 1

Specs:

Board: i.MX7D SABRESD RevA

CPU: Freescale i.MX7D rev1.2 at 792 MHz

Brcm chip: 43455 (SDIO)

Firmware: brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin

Kernel + FMAC used: https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-15932

http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/linux-imx.git/tag/?id=rel_imx_4.1.15_2.1.0_ga&h=imx_4.9.11...

I am trying to put the drivers into APSTA mode, where the board can connect to an upstream AP and can allow clients to connect downstream.

I have verified that drivers can be placed into STA mode, by configuring them for STA and connecting to a WPA2-PSK SSID and passing ping traffic.

I have tried running the drivers in AP mode, but have failed. I have configured the driver to broadcast an SSID on a particular channel, and have even associated a client to that SSID, but failed to pass any ping traffic. The linux wlan0 interface is up but not RUNNING, when driver is in AP mode. The wl commands for configuring in AP mode are below.

ifconfig wlan0

ifconfig wlan0 up

wl -i wlan0 down

wl -i wlan0 ap 1

wl -i wlan0 country US

wl -i wlan0 5g_rate auto

wl -i wlan0 bw_cap 5g 0x7

wl -i wlan0 ssid "001_mesh_open"

wl -i wlan0 bss 1

wl -i wlan0 chanspec 36/20

wl -i wlan0 txchain 7

wl -i wlan0 rxchain 7

wl -i wlan0 up

wl -i wlan0 bss 1

wl -i wlan0 status

wl -i wlan0 msglevel + assoc + error + info

ifconfig wlan0 up

What am I missing? Does the driver need to be compiled differently? Does the above firmware support AP/STA mode simultaneously?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
3 Replies
VinayakS_26
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Could you check whether you are running a dhcp client in your STA. The problem might be that you  are not assigned an IP yourself to begin with before pinging the AP.

BR,

Vinayak

0 Likes

Hi VinayakS_26,

Thanks for writing back. I just want to clarify that the issue with placing the drivers into APSTA mode. I have already placed the board in STA mode and associated it to an AP, but for the second step, I am trying to configure the board as an APSTA so that it can connect to an upstream AP as a client and clients can connect to it downstream.

What are the configurations required to place the board into APSTA mode?

EDIT: Also, it's not an IP address issue. When configured as a STA, the board is able to get an IP address with udhcpc running.

0 Likes