UART fried or deactivated? PSoC 4200 / CYKit8

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
roscc_1579236
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Community, the other day I tried to make a linear servo, using the optical position sensor and DC motor of an old printer's ink cartridge carrying mechanism. for debugging, the position was supposed to be transmitted to my PC via UART, which had worked perfectly before.

I also had debugging LEDs involved, one for each of the 2 photodiode channels of the position sensor to tell if each channel was bright or dark. For this, I wanted to use 2 colors of the onboard RGB LED.

I gradually implemented the motor control hardware using an L293D chip powered by external 5V Power supply capable of pulling high currents. Unaware that these Pins also were assigned to the RGB-LED channels, I began assigning one of the Motor control pins to P0.2.

I'm not sure of the chronology but once I had an issue where pins were reassigned automatically, and also many attempts of reassigning the pins manually.

The end result was that the status LED did a green fading blink, around 1 cycle/minute and my terminal emulator did not recognize the Device as a serial Port anymore, while anything else in the routine seemed to function as normal.

This situation kept being the case and still persists for any Project that uses UART and was working perfectly before.

My questions now:

- Did I fry something vital for UART connections?

- Is there a troubleshooting guide somewhere to look up status led blinking schemes?

Thank you very much in advance, I'll provide any available further info as needed!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks for the link to that Document! However, I used a timer to quantify the blinking frequency and it was pretty exactly 1 Hz, which is not stated in the Troubleshooting section.

BUT: Now I first realized there was a new storage device added to the list on my computer, called "Jprog". on this device there was a document that told me to hold down the reset button for 5 seconds to exit that storage device mode. I did that and now the Microcontroller is available as COM port 3 again. Hooray!

I don't know how I could have missed that all the time and sorry for bothering the community, but still thanks a lot and maybe someone can refer here if it happens to them.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi,

Could you please let me know the CYKIT you were using?

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

"CY8CKIT-042 PSoC 4 PIONEER KIT" is what the packaging sais.

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for mine being so late!

0 Likes

CORRECTION - sorry the fading status LED blink was 1 cycle/second (not minute!) maybe even a little faster.

0 Likes

Hi,

You can refer to the KitProg user guide for the different blinking schemes of Kitprog status LED:

Pg no : 44 https://www.cypress.com/file/157966/download

Connect your kit to your system. The kit should enumerate as a KitProg USB-UART, ands hould be available in the Device Manager under Ports (COM & LPT). A communication port should be assigned to the KitProg USB-UART. Does this happen?

Please let us know if you were able to program the device after that?

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Thanks for the link to that Document! However, I used a timer to quantify the blinking frequency and it was pretty exactly 1 Hz, which is not stated in the Troubleshooting section.

BUT: Now I first realized there was a new storage device added to the list on my computer, called "Jprog". on this device there was a document that told me to hold down the reset button for 5 seconds to exit that storage device mode. I did that and now the Microcontroller is available as COM port 3 again. Hooray!

I don't know how I could have missed that all the time and sorry for bothering the community, but still thanks a lot and maybe someone can refer here if it happens to them.

0 Likes