Encryption (e.g. AES/3DES) possible with PSoC 5LP?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Hello,

anyone knows if it's possible to have a PSoC 5LP enabled with encryption by UDBs and/or logic gates? I can't estimate if the available logic ressources are sufficient to implement it completely in 5LP hardware. The only thing I found on Cypress website is an article regarding magnetic stripe reader mentioning some kind of encryption, but not saying which type of encryption.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doing this in hardware seems impossible. It's difficult enough to build new 8-bit items in Verilog, and for most encryption you are dealing with 128 bits or more.

Why would you want to do this in hardware?

Here's a C library for AES. This should work in software for PSoC 5. GitHub - kokke/tiny-AES-c: Small portable AES128/192/256 in C

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doing this in hardware seems impossible. It's difficult enough to build new 8-bit items in Verilog, and for most encryption you are dealing with 128 bits or more.

Why would you want to do this in hardware?

Here's a C library for AES. This should work in software for PSoC 5. GitHub - kokke/tiny-AES-c: Small portable AES128/192/256 in C

0 Likes

Hi Paul,

thank you for the link, I'll try that. Reason for hardware implementation was that I don't know how much time a PSoC 5LP needs to do AES. With the code from your link I can do some performance measurements.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes

Hi ,

Can you share me some information about how to measure the performance and making Hardware AES on PSoC 5LP.

0 Likes

Hardware AES will be unfeasible I think. I have personally implemented software AES on PSoC 5LP systems and the performance hit was fairly significant, but not unusable. I implemented a bootloader that performed firmware upgrades in the field from AES encrypted bootloadables. I had to change the CPU frequency to the maximum in the bootloader in order to have the decryption take place in a reasonable amount of time. If you are only needing to decrypt small amounts of data, it may not be a big deal. I was decrypting full hex rows for very large firmware files. It is doable but performance will obviously suffer to some extent.

0 Likes

I am new on cypress. I have AES-CBC code and I would like to test the performance and cost(time, powerconsumption) on PSoC 5LP. If you do not mind, can you share the document or link how to test those performance? I saw some guys did it, but I could not find any tutorial or document.

0 Likes