Can I connect two MIPI image sensors to FX3 ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
HuEl_264296
Level 5
Level 5
First like given 25 sign-ins First solution authored

Hi,

My application requires two single lane MIPI image sensors (400x400 x 120fps OVM6211).

Is it possible to connect both of these to an FX3 chip, and send back to the PC a single 800x400 x 120fps image?

What's the quickest way to get a prototype of this working?  Should I just get a CYUSB3KIT-003, and make a custom PCB to connect the cameras to it?

Many thanks

Hugo

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Hugo,

Streaming data simultaneously by connecting two mipi interfaced image sensors is not possible using CX3.

You would have to use FPGA to combine the stream and give it to CX3.

You can also refer to section 9 of AN75779

Regards,

Hemanth.

Hemanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
HuEl_264296
Level 5
Level 5
First like given 25 sign-ins First solution authored

I think I meant to say CX3 rather than FX3.

0 Likes

Hello Hugo,

Please refer to the following article:

Connecting Multiple Image Sensors to one CX3

Can you please let us know the video data format? We can calculate required bandwidth from the resolution, fps and bits/pixel. Please note that the maximum bandwidth supported by CX3 is 2.4Gbps.

Regards,

Keerthy

0 Likes

Thank you Keerthy,

Unfortunately that article simply suggests using a high speed analog switch.  What I would like is to have two synchronised cameras connected to the CX3, and I would like to CX3 to combine the two images into a single 800x400 pixel image.

I was hoping there would be a quick way to do this with the CX3 dev kit. If not, I can get something working in the longer term using the Lattice Crosslink FPGA, which has free IP for combining MIPI camera streams.

The total data rate for both cameras combined is 0.307Gbps.

Many thanks

Hugo

0 Likes
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Hugo,

Streaming data simultaneously by connecting two mipi interfaced image sensors is not possible using CX3.

You would have to use FPGA to combine the stream and give it to CX3.

You can also refer to section 9 of AN75779

Regards,

Hemanth.

Hemanth
0 Likes