Correct time or location of PR swap in CCG SDK

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Raro_2284361
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Hi,

So we are testing a lot of devices and have made some simple Power Roll (PR swap) requests and it seems different devices respond differently to the same code

Most Samsung Phones work, LG and MOTO phones do not work, Apple devices do not, HP devices work and so on

Our Design is based around CCG3 3171, used as a DRP for a USB HUB UFP port, we are requesting PR swap from connected devices that Require a Sink Connection prior to a SRC connection.

Any and All Help Greatly Appreciated

0 Likes
12 Replies
HirotakaT_91
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Hi,

As with CCG3 which can set Default port role, DRP prefered role, and Port role, smart phone devices are also implemented some chips and which can act as DFP or UFP. The behavior depends on the implementation of each smartphone device.

Best regards,

Hirotaka Takayama

0 Likes

Yes, that is correct most type C PD phones/pads have capability as a Host or Device , the question is how to force an OTG switch of data transfer by setting connected mobile device (phone or pad) so that external devices can be enumerated

As our testing results of dozens of devices show there is many ways to accomplish this task, for instance Samsung S8/9 requires a sink connection to enumerate device and than a PR swap can be sent to charge at the same time as transferring data this however does not apply to Samsung A1 8 inch pad does not accept a PR swap from CCG3 it does accept a PR swap from TI/VIA/Richtek and many other ICs we have tested ... so yes the issue is specific to CCG3 code and the list of incompatible devices is growing daily as we are doing more test

Our Request was to get help with proper implementation and evaluation of Port Roll as to possible issue a DR swap when devices are connected to CCG3 and sourcing power from CCG3

Sent from Rads iPhone

0 Likes

We have tried a few things that we think may be interfering :

Disabled Alt mode support (since we are using Cypd3171 no billboard anyways)

We tried Sink and source PDOs to be identical in power levels so we can issue a PR swap

We tried charging default port roll in configuration utility

No success

Sent from Rads iPhone

0 Likes

Please help its still an open issue

0 Likes
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi Rad,

Can you clarify me on how you are using CCG3 (CYPD312x) and/or CCG3PA (CYPD317x).

There is no CCG3 3171, are you referring to CCG3PA 3171?

But in the case of a standard CCG3PA 3171 design, there is no datapath, so please provide information on how you have customized the data interface.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Rad,

Can you also attach CC logs of failed connection?

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

Sorry to cause you so much confusion as far as I'm aware there is only one 3171 ic in the entire Cypress CCG family and yes it is CCG3PA

0 Likes

Would you like reports using Cypress PD sniffer or Total Phase sniffer?

0 Likes

Radoslaw rozycki wrote:

Would you like reports using Cypress PD sniffer or Total Phase sniffer?

Cypress PD sniffer.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Radoslaw rozycki wrote:

Sorry to cause you so much confusion as far as I'm aware there is only one 3171 ic in the entire Cypress CCG family and yes it is CCG3PA

Thanks for clarifying. I am not too confused, but since this is an open community, we strive to make things clear for all levels of users

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

Please accept my apologies for my Rude behavior

I will post sniffer results tomorrow

Sent from Rads iPhone

0 Likes

Hi Rad,

Is there any update about this threads?

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes