Cannot program because KitProg goes into mass storage mode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
david-given
Level 4
Level 4
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First solution authored

I've got a CY8CKIT-059 development board which I'm trying to program. This device has previous been working fine, but I recently needed some more pins and so set the SWD pins to GPIO mode. Once done, the KitProg now no longer recognises the device and goes into mass storage mode, which means the debugger can't connect to it, producing the enclosed error message.

I know I can switch out of mass storage mode by holding the button down on the KitProg down for five seconds, at which point the programmer starts working again, except my development board is physically inaccessible and this isn't really an option.

As mass storage mode doesn't work on the PSoC5, it's completely useless to me. Can it be permanently disabled?

screenshot.png

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

You need the KitProg or miniprog, connecting SWD pins to USB lines and the reset line. I use the miniprog3 with the 5 pin connector.

But you need the reset always. (I did a special cable connecting the reset line to ID line in the connector - pin 4 - )

Of course, you don't use the USB protocol

Regards

Gil

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

Following is my idea off my head, so it may not work for you

but (I hope that) worth giving a try...

I wonder if updating firmware of the board may affect the situation.

Can you try  PSoC Programmer, this tool is located in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Programmer

on my System.

PSoC_Programmer.JPG

After starting PSoC Programmer

(1) select Utilities tap

(2) select Upgrade Firmware

If it goes well, quit PSoC Programmer and start PSoC Creator

and try to acquire the port explicitly.

Select_Debug_Target_190210.JPG

Fingers crossed.

moto

0 Likes
JOLO_264146
Level 4
Level 4
First like received Welcome!

Hi,

I assume that you are using the main board of the Kit-059 (not the detachable kitprog). If you are using the USB, you can program the P5L with same connection. You need the USB pins + reset signal

If you use the USB in your application, the problem is you can't debug.

Note: pay attention that Kitprog working as mass storage doesn't support kit-059. I mean, as mass storage, kitprog can't program other P5LP (see KitProg User guide - www.cypress.com/file/157966/download - section 4.3, 1st question)

B.R.

Gil

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

I'm very sorry but I could not read that much.

Recently I had a chance to program SWD/SWCLK pins to GPIO and re-acquired them from KitProg3, it was PSoC 4M though,

so I was hoping that re-initializing the KitProg might help, since you could at least leave the mass storage mode.

But apparently it was not a useful idea for this case.

moto

0 Likes

I know that the KitProg doesn't support mass storage programming on the 059, which is why I want to turn it off...

Re programming via the USB pins: I am using USB, and one of the things on my to-do list is to figure out how to do OTA firmware upgrades. When you say it's programmable via the USB pins, you don't mean via the USB protocol, right? Instead I am connecting the programmer to the same pins that USB uses? Because I don't think that helps me much --- I still need to connect the programmer somehow, of course. If the board supported self-programming via USB without special firmware, that would be awesome.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Press the RST button and hold it for 30 sec and then unplug the USB cable and then Plug it in and  try it again,

0 Likes

As stated above, I can't rely on the reset button being accessible and so need a solution which doesn't involve it.

0 Likes

Hi,

You need the KitProg or miniprog, connecting SWD pins to USB lines and the reset line. I use the miniprog3 with the 5 pin connector.

But you need the reset always. (I did a special cable connecting the reset line to ID line in the connector - pin 4 - )

Of course, you don't use the USB protocol

Regards

Gil

0 Likes