Status check by polling DQ3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NaMo_1534561
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
100 replies posted 100 sign-ins 50 replies posted

Hello,

According to the data sheet of S29GL-T, there is a method of status check by polling using DQ3 when executing the sector erase command.

Is this a common way?

· Is it common specification of NorFlash made by Cypress?

· Is it the specification specified by JEDEC? (Do other companies have the same specification?)

MPN:S29GL01GT10TFI010

Best Regards,

Naoaki Morimoto

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Naoaki,

It has been a common specification of Cypress parallel NOR flash memory since flash memory technology was inherited from SPANSION (AMD + Fujitsu). As far as I know it is not specified by JEDEC, but other competitors including Micron have kept the same method with us due to having a compatibility.

Best regards,

Scott Heo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
NaMo_1534561
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

Customers are concerned with the man-power required to change from competiter's Flash to CY.

Status polling using DQ 3 is also supported by other companies (Micron).

However, I would like to know how this method can be used in common with any Flash memory like CFI.

Best Regards,

Naoaki Morimoto

0 Likes

Hi Naoaki,

It has been a common specification of Cypress parallel NOR flash memory since flash memory technology was inherited from SPANSION (AMD + Fujitsu). As far as I know it is not specified by JEDEC, but other competitors including Micron have kept the same method with us due to having a compatibility.

Best regards,

Scott Heo

0 Likes
NaMo_1534561
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your answer.

I understand that it has been common way of Cypress NOR Flash family since SPANSION(AMD + Fujitsu).

But it is not common format of NOR Flash vendors.

Best Regards,

Naoaki Morimoto

0 Likes