Using CYBT-343026 with Linux Bluetooth stacks

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BeNa_3696596
Level 1
Level 1

I want to use the CYBT-343026 in conjuction with a Linux Host Computer. As far as I have seen there are 2 possible communication ways over a Uart-connection - the standard HCI mode (which I want to use) and the WICED HCI mode which seem to provide a communication way with the Bluetooth protocol which was formerly programmed into the modules flash memory.

Is there an example application to configure the CYBT-343026 non volatile to be used like a Bluetooth radio - just setting a specific baud rate on the UART and then  communicating over the standard HCI protocol (I guess H4) in conjunction with the Linux Bluetooth stacks?

While searching in the community database I have found several "solutions" which are sometimes very different, such as:

1. In the support case "Linux driver for CYBT 343026" the solution seems to be "just download a patch (or an empty application) and then send HCI commands over HCI UART."

2. In the KBA225450 the solution seems to be loading the flash with any non-Bluetooth project (Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) or Bluetooth BR/EDR) for example GPIO application which is part of the SDK.

3. Also mentioned in KBA225450: "...pull the SPI2_MOSI pin low on Power ON to put the device in HCI mode where it starts accepting all HCI commands."

4. In the support case "CYW20719 in HCI mode the following method is described: Create a project with an empty application and program it into the flash. Then send a HCI reset command ((01 03 0C 00) (01)

I have tried most of the mentioned solutions above, but I had no success to talk to the module from the linux side (hciattach -> "hciconfig hci0 up" -> fail).

Therefore my question: What is the prefered way to bring the CYBT-343026 into "standard" hci mode?

Regards,

Bernhard

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

I got it: I configured transport_cfg with a speed of 460800 Baud and then I connected the module in Linux with a btattach-speed-setting of 460800 Baud - then everything runs like expected.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Bernhard

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hello Bernhard,

Usually there are two ways to bring the module into HCI mode: First, to program the module with a blank application and second is to recover the module.

If both of these are not working for you, then can you please check the switch settings on the board?

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

b.naegele_3696596​ sent the following reply to the community manager email address.

Hello,

it seem that on my board only the solution "Press Recovery-Button during Power-ON" works.

Is it a practicable way to put a static pull-down resistor (e.g. 1k) onto the SPI2_MOSI pin?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Bernhard

0 Likes
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hello Bernhard,

You have to release the signal after pulled down once. I am afraid you cant use pull down resistor for that.

This KBA might be helpful:

Hello,

you sent me the hint to the KBA225060.

In the related Web-Link there is the hint "Run the WICED_MOD_Programmer.exe file".

I can't find this software on your Web-Site.

Currently I'm working with the WICED-Studio.

Thank you for your help

Best regards,

Bernhard

Von: SheetalJ_96 <community-manager@cypress.com>

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2019 09:57

An: Nägele, Bernhard <b.naegele@elektrotechnik-lauter.de>

Betreff: Re: - Using CYBT-343026 with Linux Bluetooth stacks

<http://www.cypress.com>

Cypress Developer Community <https://community.cypress.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Using CYBT-343026 with Linux Bluetooth stacks

reply from SheetalJ_96<https://community.cypress.com/people/SheetalJ_96?et=watches.email.thread> in WICED Studio Bluetooth Forums - View the full discussion<https://community.cypress.com/message/186315?et=watches.email.thread#186315>

0 Likes

Please continue to use WICED studio for programming. I referred the document for recovery instructions table given in point 2.

Hello,

O.K., the HCI mode seems now to work with the CYBT-343026 after programming a empty application into the module.

Now I have another problem - 115200 Baud rate (default HCI data rate) seems not to be enought to set up a a2dp audio streaming protocol.

After establishing a connection with a headset the sound I get is chopped. Therefore I tried to rise the HCI Baud rate by altering the

default HCI baud rate inside the module firmware (altering the HCI_UART_DEFAULT_BAUD value for example to 230400 in the platforms wiced_hal_platform.h file).

But after doing so it seems that no linux configuration tool works with this module - even if I try here to set the speed to the corresponding HCI baud rate.

Have you got any hint about how to get a higher data rate on the hci interface for audio streaming (if possible - so that standard linux configuration tools work further on with this setting - btattach, hcimon, hciconfig, blueman, blueberry).

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Bernhard

0 Likes

Hello,

I got it: I configured transport_cfg with a speed of 460800 Baud and then I connected the module in Linux with a btattach-speed-setting of 460800 Baud - then everything runs like expected.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Bernhard

0 Likes