USB PD with Dual UART Bridge

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
wichc_4022421
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for an appropriate chip (or chips) for an upcoming project, and help would be much appreciated.

Here are the requirements that I need to fulfill:

• Be able to receive power as a downstream device at 5V/3.0A;
  • Be able to function as 2 USB-to-UART bridges;
  • Draw power only from the connection, i.e. automatically turn off when USB is disconnected;
  • Support USB Type-C receptacles.

I am considering EX-PD CCG3 (in particular, CYPD3121-40LQXIT 40QFN) but an alternative with less moving parts would be great. I'm not sure if something like CY7C65215 + PD controller would be possible.

Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi,

• Be able to receive power as a downstream device at 5V/3.0A

> If it is only 5V, CCG2, CCG3 and CCG3PA can serve the purpose.

• Be able to function as 2 USB-to-UART bridges

> None of the Cypress PD controllers do USB-UART. You will have to use USB-UART + CYPDxxxx solution.

Do you need 'Two' USB-UARTs? Then is the module you are developing gets two USB ports (and eventually two USB VBUS?).

• Draw power only from the connection, i.e. automatically turn off when USB is disconnected

> Supported by CCG2, CCG3, CCG3PA

> Supported by all CCGx.

I'm not sure if something like CY7C65215 + PD controller would be possible.

> Yes it is possible.

According to my understanding, you will be requiring PD controller only for handling Type-C receptacle flip. Please confirm that you will not be doing PD communication for higher power (>5V) negotiation / alternate mode.

I am considering EX-PD CCG3 (in particular, CYPD3121-40LQXIT 40QFN) but an alternative with less moving parts would be great.

> If VBUS is always 5 volts, I would recommend CCG2 + CY7C65215 = lowest footprint solution.

Regards,

Rajath

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi,

• Be able to receive power as a downstream device at 5V/3.0A

> If it is only 5V, CCG2, CCG3 and CCG3PA can serve the purpose.

• Be able to function as 2 USB-to-UART bridges

> None of the Cypress PD controllers do USB-UART. You will have to use USB-UART + CYPDxxxx solution.

Do you need 'Two' USB-UARTs? Then is the module you are developing gets two USB ports (and eventually two USB VBUS?).

• Draw power only from the connection, i.e. automatically turn off when USB is disconnected

> Supported by CCG2, CCG3, CCG3PA

> Supported by all CCGx.

I'm not sure if something like CY7C65215 + PD controller would be possible.

> Yes it is possible.

According to my understanding, you will be requiring PD controller only for handling Type-C receptacle flip. Please confirm that you will not be doing PD communication for higher power (>5V) negotiation / alternate mode.

I am considering EX-PD CCG3 (in particular, CYPD3121-40LQXIT 40QFN) but an alternative with less moving parts would be great.

> If VBUS is always 5 volts, I would recommend CCG2 + CY7C65215 = lowest footprint solution.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes