Bootloader and application use the same UART

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GaSh_293351
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted Welcome! 5 questions asked

I want to use the same UART for the application, and for the bootloader.

The application has its own communication protocol, and the bootloader has its communication protocol.

After reading the application notes, the following is not clear:

1. The way to enter bootloader mode is by a command from the application (Bootloader_Start())?

This means that the command from the host to enter bootloader mode is done using the application protocol?

2. When entering bootloader mode, the host should continue with bootloader protocol?

Is this correct?

Gal

0 Likes
1 Solution
RyanZhao
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Gal,

Here is my understanding:

1. At least two ways to enter bootloader:

a. When boot up, enter bootloader, wait boot command until timeout or no timeout, decided by user.

b. In application mode, jump to bootloader according to uer's code.

Examples:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an68272-psoc-3-psoc-4-psoc-5lp-and-psoc-anal...

2. Entering bootloader is MCU's work. After entering bootloader, host should use bootloader protocol/command to control MCU updating or going to app.

Thanks,

Ryan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
RyanZhao
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Gal,

Here is my understanding:

1. At least two ways to enter bootloader:

a. When boot up, enter bootloader, wait boot command until timeout or no timeout, decided by user.

b. In application mode, jump to bootloader according to uer's code.

Examples:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an68272-psoc-3-psoc-4-psoc-5lp-and-psoc-anal...

2. Entering bootloader is MCU's work. After entering bootloader, host should use bootloader protocol/command to control MCU updating or going to app.

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Likes

Thanks Ryan.

It answers my questions.

Gal

0 Likes