BCM943341 and WICED SDK 3.3.1 -- repurposing snip.uart to use UART2

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

The snip.uart in the WICED SDK 3.3.1 uses STDIO_UART to echo bytes sent over the terminal connected to that COM port.

I want to repurpose that application to use pins 9 and 10 on the breakout header. These stand for UART2 RX and TX respectively.

I want to know how can I pass the UART2 number in the wicked_uart_init()? As of now, the SDK has platform.h for BCM943341WCD1 has the following definition for UART

typedef enum

{

WICED_UART_1,

WICED_UART_MAX, /* Denotes the total number of UART port aliases. Not a valid UART alias */

WICED_UART_32BIT = 0x7FFFFFFF,

} wiced_uart_t;

/* UART port used for standard I/O */

#define STDIO_UART                       ( WICED_UART_1 )

Can I use WICED_UART_2 and hope that this will result in TX/RX on the respective pins 9 and 10. Is there anything else I need to configure besides adding WICED_UART2=2 in the wiced_uart_t structure and passing it to the init function below?

/* Initialise UART. A ring buffer is used to hold received characters */

wiced_uart_init( STDIO_UART, &uart_config, &rx_buffer );

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Arsh,

Hi.

Thanks. I was able to repurpose WICED_UART4 using the example posted here ...

Enable UART4 on BCM943362WCD4 and BCM943341WCD1 as Terminal Output

Regards,

Manish

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
JoYi_1844281
Level 6
Level 6
100 sign-ins 100 replies posted 50 likes received

Your could check platform files of BCM943362WCD4 and/or BCM9WCDPLUS114 as reference!

Both already configure two UART port!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

WICED_UART_2 has not been connected to the FTDI chip. As a result, you will have to modify the hardware as well as the platform files.

Thanks,

Arsh Buch

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Arsh,

Hi.

Thanks. I was able to repurpose WICED_UART4 using the example posted here ...

Enable UART4 on BCM943362WCD4 and BCM943341WCD1 as Terminal Output

Regards,

Manish

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW, we just want a regular UART ... not a terminal one with serial to USB or vice-versa conversion.

0 Likes