Is VDDD required for CCG3PA if VBUS_IN is powered? CY4532 have different behavior.

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JoLu_3455101
Level 4
Level 4
5 likes given 5 solutions authored 25 replies posted

Hi,

I am using CCG3PA (CYPD3171) and I got the idea that we can power the chip from both or either one of the two power supplies from the datasheet (p.6):

"CCG3PA can operate from two possible external supply sources:

VBUS_IN_DISCHARGE (3.0 V–24.5 V) or VDDD (2.7 V–5.5 V).

When powered through VBUS_IN_DISCHARGE, the internal

regulator generates VDDD of 3.3 V for chip operation."

However, on the CY4532 EVK, if I remove the jumper for VDDD (so only VBUS_IN is powering CCG3PA), the user device isn't being charged.

On the other hand, if I remove the jumper for VBUS_IN (so only VDDD is powering CCG3PA), the user device gets charged.

I also noticed the same behavior on my own design board. It seems VDDD is required, but the datasheet seems to state otherwise. Can someone clarify this point? Perhaps I need a firmware modification if I don't have VDDD powered?

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 Likes
1 Solution
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi Jonathan,

Are you running the power adapter firmware or powerbank firmware?

Is it default firmware or is there any modification?

For default kit  firmware -

Please note that if you short VBUS_IN ans VBUS_P on J4, you cannot power the CCG3PA since VBUS_P comes from a buck-boost which has to be configured by CCG3PA itself. VBUS_P will be generated only when CCG3PA is already powered.

If you want to verify powering up CCG3PA from VBUS_IN, connect VBUS_IN to TYPE-C_VBUS (pin 2 and 3) on J4 and connect a power adapter / power source on the Type-C connector. It should get powered and charge any battery connected to the battery terminals.

Whenever the kit has a power-source by itself (like a charged battery / DC jack / power from DC terminals), it will prefer to be powered by VDDD.

Only during powerbank mode and dead battery situation, it can be powered by VBUS_IN connected to TYPE-C_VBUS.

Regards,

Rajath

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi Jonathan,

Are you running the power adapter firmware or powerbank firmware?

Is it default firmware or is there any modification?

For default kit  firmware -

Please note that if you short VBUS_IN ans VBUS_P on J4, you cannot power the CCG3PA since VBUS_P comes from a buck-boost which has to be configured by CCG3PA itself. VBUS_P will be generated only when CCG3PA is already powered.

If you want to verify powering up CCG3PA from VBUS_IN, connect VBUS_IN to TYPE-C_VBUS (pin 2 and 3) on J4 and connect a power adapter / power source on the Type-C connector. It should get powered and charge any battery connected to the battery terminals.

Whenever the kit has a power-source by itself (like a charged battery / DC jack / power from DC terminals), it will prefer to be powered by VDDD.

Only during powerbank mode and dead battery situation, it can be powered by VBUS_IN connected to TYPE-C_VBUS.

Regards,

Rajath

JoLu_3455101
Level 4
Level 4
5 likes given 5 solutions authored 25 replies posted

Hi Rajath,

Thanks for the info. I was running the default power adapter firmware on the CY4532 EVK. About the EVK, I see how it won't work due to the dependency that is needed on the regulator. As for our own PCB, I will update you soon on it as we were busy troubleshooting a different issue.

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 Likes

Thanks Rajath. I've tested it out on the EVK.