Programming a device with BLE 4.2 USB Dongle

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_3880456
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have the following products:

• CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A Bluetooth® Low Energy 4.2 Compliant Pioneer Kit
  • CY5677 CySmart BLE 4.2 USB Dongle (BLE Dongle)
  • A chip on a PCB that I got from a company, which uses the same processor with the CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A

I have 2 questions:

• First, what is the USB dongle used for?
  • Second, how can I program that chip on a PCB? Do I need a MiniProg3 or can I do it with the USB dongle? The dongle has 10 pins that are named PRoC BLE external programming header. If so, how should I connect the dongle (or MiniProg3) to my chip on PCB? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Alperen Görmez

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Q. What is the CY5677 Cysmart dongle used for?

A. The dongle is used to emulate a BLE host on the computer and allow you to communicate with the CY8CKIT-042 kit configured as a BLE peripheral. You can look at the different parameters/characteristics/data etc. in the CySmart Software tool​. The dongle can't be used to program the chip on the custom board. The 10 pin header on the dongle is used to program the PSoC 4 chip present on the dongle only, if programming through USB (via Kitprog) is not possible. It cannot be used to program any external boards.

Q. How can I program the chip on the custom board?

A. You will need to use a Miniprog3 for programming. Please refer to the section Physical Layer (Page#13) of the following document for the hardware connections between the programmer and the target device: http://www.cypress.com/file/409516/download

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Q. What is the CY5677 Cysmart dongle used for?

A. The dongle is used to emulate a BLE host on the computer and allow you to communicate with the CY8CKIT-042 kit configured as a BLE peripheral. You can look at the different parameters/characteristics/data etc. in the CySmart Software tool​. The dongle can't be used to program the chip on the custom board. The 10 pin header on the dongle is used to program the PSoC 4 chip present on the dongle only, if programming through USB (via Kitprog) is not possible. It cannot be used to program any external boards.

Q. How can I program the chip on the custom board?

A. You will need to use a Miniprog3 for programming. Please refer to the section Physical Layer (Page#13) of the following document for the hardware connections between the programmer and the target device: http://www.cypress.com/file/409516/download

Regards,

Dheeraj