What are Maximum number of Analog channels possible in ADC of CY8CKIT-050 PSoC® 5LP Development Kit ..?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RaBa_2451646
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins 5 replies posted

I am making a data acquisition system then later I need to transmit that data to the server with GSM Module via MQTT protocol. I want to develop the prototype ASAP. below are the requirements:-

1. A microcontroller with inbuilt ADC of 16-bit resolution and minimum 50 k sampling rate with atleast 8 analog channels.
  2. Must have an available development board as need to develop its firmware ASAP and do not want to stuck in developing the circuitry.

Somebody, please tell which development board should I choose with all these capabilities or is CY8CKIT-050 PSoC® 5LP Development Kit is capable of it..?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hello Rajat,

PSoC5LP has 2 types of ADC's. One is SAR ADC(12bit max) and other is a Delta sigma ADC(20 bit max- 16 bit normally). Now SAR ADC is a fast ADC which will be able to meet your data rate requirement(1Msps with external bypass cap for a single channel), where as Delta-Sigma ADC will not be able to do that(384ksps for a single channel). If you are ready to use and the delta sigma ADC, you can  use an Analog Mux(Amux) to switch between different channels according to your requirement. Development boards are available for PSoC 5LP part, CY8CKIT050 is one example as you have mentioned.

If you are alright with 12 bit accuracy you can also check PSoC 4 devices. They also have 12 bit SAR ADC with 1Msps speed( but does not have the delta sigma ADC). This device ADC has support for multiple channels inside the API, which makes it easier for you to switch between channels and getting the right result using the component APIs itself.

Best Regards,
VRS

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Vasanth

Hello Rajat,

PSoC5LP has 2 types of ADC's. One is SAR ADC(12bit max) and other is a Delta sigma ADC(20 bit max- 16 bit normally). Now SAR ADC is a fast ADC which will be able to meet your data rate requirement(1Msps with external bypass cap for a single channel), where as Delta-Sigma ADC will not be able to do that(384ksps for a single channel). If you are ready to use and the delta sigma ADC, you can  use an Analog Mux(Amux) to switch between different channels according to your requirement. Development boards are available for PSoC 5LP part, CY8CKIT050 is one example as you have mentioned.

If you are alright with 12 bit accuracy you can also check PSoC 4 devices. They also have 12 bit SAR ADC with 1Msps speed( but does not have the delta sigma ADC). This device ADC has support for multiple channels inside the API, which makes it easier for you to switch between channels and getting the right result using the component APIs itself.

Best Regards,
VRS

Hello Vrs,

thanks for your reply.

More specifically I want ADC with 16-bit resolution & want to acquire data of 8 analog devices simultaneously. & from each channel, I want to convert at least 2000 Samples per seconds.

kindly, confirm

1. It will be possible if I use Delta-Sigma ADC in CY8CKIT050. I think it can give me 384000/8=48000 samples/channel per second. please confirm.
  2. I hope the mux is inbuilt.

Best regards,

Rajat bandejiya

0 Likes
Vasanth

Hello Rajat,

1.I forgot to specify that the maximum sample rate of 384ksps is at 8 bit resolution. For 16 bit resolution it is 48ksps. With multiple channels, you might not be able to reach the required sample rate.

2.The analog mux is not inbuilt to the ADC component. It is a generic component which can be used with multiple analog components. This also makes it necessary for you to write your own code to switching between channels and collecting the results out of it.

I hope this answers your questions completely.

Best Regards,
VRS

Hello vsrs,

Even if 48000 samples per seconds is the data rate. then I think data rate must come nearly to 6000 samples per second per channel.

kindly comment for the above statement that if it is correct or not, as I want nearly 2000 samples per second from each channel. as if the above statement will be correct (which is looking correct theoretically) I will buy it & will start the development.

Best Regards,

Rajat Bandejiya

0 Likes
Vasanth

Hello Rajat,

You should be able to achieve that. I was going with your initial request of 50Ksps. There is an example code in PSoC Creator to use multiplexed inputs for the DelSig ADC(File->Example Code). In the example code the Start of Convert trigger for the ADC is generated by delaying the EOC signal from the ADC by 1.5uS. This will allow the mux signals to settle while switching between inputs. There is a cheaper stamp board (CY8CKIT-059)  if you are using it for initial testing. This has limited number of GPIOs and not a proper development kit like CY8CKIT-050.

Best Regards,
VRS

Hello vsrs,

Thanks for the comment, its looking from the ADC perspective CY8CKIT-059 can provide the accurate solution.

Here in my product data retention is a big requirement, so please tell what are the possibilities if I want to integrate an external memory. I want to store data of about 256 Megabytes if the device gets out of coverage.

Please suggest the possibilities in this regards,

Best Regards,

Rajat Bandejiya

0 Likes
Vasanth

Hello Rajat,

Could you please create a new thread regarding this query. Then content of the thread will be aligned with its title and will be more useful for other users who are searching for answers.

Best Regards,
VRS

0 Likes