Too many issue form Creator 3.3 to creator 4.2?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
David_Zhang
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Arrow(GC)
First like received 50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins

i  have to say something terrible issue form creator 3.3 to creator 4.2,

For part#,  i can't download the hex file with creator4.2, but it's ok in creator3.3;

2、when we used posc4 part, it's better used in creator3.3, otherwise i may can;t download the hex into you chip;

3、the miniprog3 dowload issue is terrible, i takes too many time in it, it's very strict to download the hex, it must to keey the concent without any little trouble or the lines can;t be to long,  so i don't understand why don't you make it easy for development engineer,

4、for the creator4.2, when we use psoc400 with capsense 4.0 it may not work or something mistake in download part, so it waster time to do test;

5、now we can't find creator3.3 ide, may be it function is not power to creator4.2, but it stably , please help to solve it,???????

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello David.

If the PSoC4014 has never been programmed, it can only be programmed using SWD interface.

If the PSoC4014 has been programmed with an I2C bootloader, it can be programmed using I2C like Ryan has hooked up on his KitProg.  I'm sure Ryan could confirm why he connected the I2C pins to KitProg interface pins.  But that's my understanding.

And,

If the PSoC4014 has been programmed, it can always be re-programmed using SWD interface.  This is the default method when all else fails.

If you set the security bits, all bets are off.  The device can block all re-programming if you set the wrong security mode.

Bill

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
RyanZhao
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi David,

Great Thanks for your sharing the experience of using PSoC Creator. And Great Thanks for your tough love for Cypress products. Actually on some view of points, I can't agree with you any more!!!!

(However, when a newer version released, I always forgot the painful history...and step into the pit again and again....... )

Inspired by your comments, I have some more 'concerns' to talk here. Maybe it can attract more guys to discuss further...

1、For part#,  i can't download the hex file with Creator 4.2, but it's ok in Creator 3.3;

- Sorry for taking the inconvenience for you.. Some part numbers be not available in Creator 4.2, but previous version. However, more new part numbers with better performance, and more rich products series are only available on the latest version. (See their release notes as below)

pastedImage_0.png  pastedImage_2.png

(I also met some projects with old PSoC5 and have to download PSoC Creator 2.1, 1.0..........)

Further more, could you let us know the hex file or part number you concern, so that I can do a test on my side and check if we can find some better ideas to deal with it?

2、when we used posc4 part, it's better used in creator3.3, otherwise i may can;t download the hex into you chip;

- Which PSoC4 are you using? I guess it may be caused by different build and compile tool chains...

3、the miniprog3 dowload issue is terrible, i takes too many time in it, it's very strict to download the hex, it must to keey the concent without any little trouble or the lines can;t be to long,  so i don't understand why don't you make it easy for development engineer,

- Can't agree with you any more again!!!! When I met this kind of issue, I tried using KitProg/KitProg2(got from KIT-043, KIT-145 or KIT-149). But these KitProg/KitProg2 doesn't support Power Cycle mode and <5V system, so sometimes I use the bridge on KIT-042 BLE or KIT-063 which support 3.3V and 1.8V......And I also did some small bridges like the picture showing. Though the kitprog looks poor.. but it did work! It can work as a programmer and an I2C bridge without changing connector.

pastedImage_9.pngpastedImage_10.png

I heard that a new debug and programming tool to replacing MP3 is in development....Look forward it...

4、for the creator4.2, when we use psoc400 with capsense 4.0 it may not work or something mistake in download part, so it waster time to do test;

- Really??? Could you share with us the project and we can look for a workaround in case next time you or other customer meet this issue again?

5、now we can't find creator3.3 ide, may be it function is not power to creator4.2, but it stably , please help to solve it,???????

- Ah Ha....Here is a link! You can download history versions of PSoC Creator (From v2.1, a very very old version, to the latest version).

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/psoc-creator-software-archive

Thank you again for your sharing. Sorry sincerely maybe we should have had these kind of talking with customers earlier,....Hope this is a good start... We like this kind of voice.

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Likes
David_Zhang
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Arrow(GC)

Dear  RZZH:

it's real some issue, as you said that i can download with miniprog3 but can' find chip wiht miniprog2,  the community3.0  editor is hard to use for engineer, have no function to add code, this below is the hardware and result; tks;

pastedImage_0.png pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.pngpastedImage_4.png

0 Likes

Hello David.

I see in your MiniProg3 setup, you are using SWD, 5-pin, Power Cycle Mode.  Since the CY8C4014LQI-422 has the XRES pin available, can you connect MiniProg3 to this pin and try to download/program using the Reset Acquire Mode.

Is it possible the circuitry is drawing too much current from MiniProg3 Vtarg pin?

Here's a good webpage on TroubleShooting Programming Failures:

Troubleshooting PSoC® 3/4/5LP Programming/Debugging Issues - KBA210619

This article speaks about Creator 3.0 and issues programming PSOC's with less than 32k of FLASH.  In theory, Creator 3.3 has this fixed, but you can check.

PSoC® Creator™ 3.0 Bootloader with PSoC 4 Devices with Less Than 32K Flash – KBA91658

Bill

0 Likes
David_Zhang
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Arrow(GC)

Dear  Kb:

should i  connect to the SDA/SCL PIN P12.0/P12.1 ? it shows in you picture??

pastedImage_10.png

0 Likes

Hello David.

If the PSoC4014 has never been programmed, it can only be programmed using SWD interface.

If the PSoC4014 has been programmed with an I2C bootloader, it can be programmed using I2C like Ryan has hooked up on his KitProg.  I'm sure Ryan could confirm why he connected the I2C pins to KitProg interface pins.  But that's my understanding.

And,

If the PSoC4014 has been programmed, it can always be re-programmed using SWD interface.  This is the default method when all else fails.

If you set the security bits, all bets are off.  The device can block all re-programming if you set the wrong security mode.

Bill

0 Likes
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello David.

Another item to check is the connection to GPIO P1.6. This should not have a strong pull-down to ground.  It's best to use this pin as an output.  This is mentioned in the PSoC 4000 Family Datasheet below Table 1 (Pin Descriptions).

Bill

0 Likes
David_Zhang
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Arrow(GC)

Dear  Kb:

where is  GPIO P1.6 , i can't find it, otherwise CY8C4014LQI-422 has no reset pin ,so just use power cycle mode to download ??

0 Likes

Hello David.

CY8C4014LQI-422 is the 24 pin QFN package.  P1.6 is pin 18.  It's shown in the 4000 Family datasheet under Pinouts.  Have a look at the colume Alternate Functions for pin 18 and you'll see this pin relates to an internal reset function.

The XRES pin 24 is the external reset pin for this device as shown in 4000 Family datasheet under Pinouts.  XRES is better described in the 4000 Family TRM Architecture document:

http://www.cypress.com/file/126386/download

If you connect XRES to Miniprog3, you can use the normal Reset Acquire Mode when downloading/programming FLASH.

Bill

0 Likes