CYUSB3014 unable to boot from USB mode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lvha_3910906
Level 1
Level 1

I designed a board related to cyusb3014. When I chose to boot from USB mode, I connected it to the PC and nothing happened. No new devices were found in the device manager. But when I solder another the FLASH with firmware to this board and selected the boot mode as I2C boot, it shows "Cypress FX3 USB StreamerExample Device" in CyControl.exe(usb2.0). Does this mean that there is no problem with the design schematic and the differential line? How can I get it to boot from USB mode to download firmware?

0 Likes
1 Solution
YangyangC_06
Employee
Employee
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hi Haisen,

You could follow the below instructions to find the root casue.

1. USB boot should be a simple and quick way to boot since FX3 doesn't need load firwmare from external device. When it fail, you should check if the PMODE pins are correct value. If not, FX3 will not enumerate as expected.

2. When you solder an external EEPROM and switch to I2C boot, the PMODE pins may get correct value and it could boot as expected.

The questions is why the PMODE pins are incorrect in USB boot but correct in I2C boot. Maybe you do something wrong(maybe hardware design defect) here.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
SrinathS_16
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hello,

- Please let us know the PMODE[2:0] pin connections.

- When using USB boot, are there any unknown devices appearing on the device manager?

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes
YangyangC_06
Employee
Employee

Have you solved this problem?

0 Likes
YangyangC_06
Employee
Employee

Hi Haisen,

You could follow the below instructions to find the root casue.

1. USB boot should be a simple and quick way to boot since FX3 doesn't need load firwmare from external device. When it fail, you should check if the PMODE pins are correct value. If not, FX3 will not enumerate as expected.

2. When you solder an external EEPROM and switch to I2C boot, the PMODE pins may get correct value and it could boot as expected.

The questions is why the PMODE pins are incorrect in USB boot but correct in I2C boot. Maybe you do something wrong(maybe hardware design defect) here.

0 Likes