Reasonable "Alternate Active" mode current with UART wake

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaEr_349131
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 50 sign-ins 5 comments on KBA

Hi,

I'd like some pointers and ideas on how to achieve a sub 1mA "standby" current-draw alternate active mode.

Need to keep UART running / able to wake up on UART RX + SPI Slave select.

PSoC 5LP, CY8C5888FNI-LP214

Using CyPmAltAct(PM_ALT_ACT_TIME_NONE, PM_ALT_ACT_SRC_PICU), the idle current is still over 5mA.
that said, in the datasheet (6.2.1.2) it reads

• One possible configuration is to turn off the CPU and flash, and run peripherals at full speed.

Assuming that doesn't happen automatically, I checked PM_STBY_CFG0...13 but not sure how to best configure the system so that uart keeps running but the cpu & flash halts to reach a sub 1mA current draw.

Thx David

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hello David,

Additionally make sure that you call Component_Sleep API for all the components not used in alternate active mode. One more important factor causing the current might be GPIO pins. Make sure that all unused pins are in analog HighZ mode. This will also reduce the current consumption. Along with that if you are configuring PM_STBY_CFGx registers properly, you should be able to see reduced current usage.

Best Regards,
VRS

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Vasanth

Hello David,

Is debug interface is running in your system? Please check CYDWR -> Debug select option and make sure whether this option is set to GPIO.

One more thing is to add is that even though you call CyPmAltAct API with PM_ALT_ACT_SRC_PICU as the wake up source, for PSoC5LP device wakeupSource argument is ignored and any of the available wakeup sources will wake the device. You can also make sure whether any other wakeup source is causing your device to go to active mode.

Best Regards,

VRS

0 Likes

Hi Vrs,

- I've tried to turn off SWD to GPIO, no difference in power-consumption.

- Quite sure that it's stopped in CyPmAltAct as halting the target will take you to that line. I have a 1khz timer that running that wakes it up, so it's easy to see the difference when the code runs in that interrupt vs in-between the timer.

Questions:

1. What is the expected power-draw in Alt-mode, CPU/Flash stopped, but with UART active running.

2. How can we ensure that the CPU is actually stopped when calling CyPmAltAct? As far as we can see, defaults in the PM_STBY_CFG should "stop" the cpu, correct!?

3. Are there some alternatives (i.e. utilizing UDB's) to be able to wake from "real sleep" on UART RX, still making sure the first data-packet is captured.

FYI:

We see about 9mA @ 4V, cpu clock is set to 24MHz. This is obviously too high.

Using the PSoC 3/5 Power Estimator Spreadsheet, I've enabled 24Mhz CPU & UART 1MHz, the calculator gives me 1.5mA

note: changing 'Power Mode' from Active to AltAct does not affect the resulting current (maybe this select-option doesn't apply in the spreadsheet?)

0 Likes
Vasanth

Hello David,

What is the active mode current in your configuration ? How much reduction you are getting when you have shifting mode from active to alternate active ?  The CPU itself is supposed to take around 10mA current in 24 MHz clock frequency of operation(typical value around 9mA).

If there is not difference in current in the current, i doubt whether the core is still in disabled. That is what I doubted in the second points. As per system reference guide the wakeup sources are

pastedImage_0.png

But PSoC 5 devices neglect this third parameter given in the CyPmAltAct(). In that case the wakeupSource argument is ignored and any of the available wakeup sources will wake the device.

If the current is different in alternate active and still higher than what you have expected, this is means other peripherals are causing the problem. You may also try calling sleep API for the unused components during alternate active mode.

Alternate Active/Standby mode (PM_STBY_CFGx) configuration registers can be used to selectively turn off sub-module clock to save dynamic power. When the device is in Alternate active mode, it will use these set of registers for enabling or disabling the clock to various modules. So before calling CyPMAltAct() API, these standby registers can be configured in such a way that we can enable the clock for the modules for which we need clock and disable the clock for the modules for which we don't need clock. We need to explicitly disable the clocks because all component_Start() apis enable the clock for those modules by default.

Best Regards,
VRS

0 Likes
Vasanth

Hello David,

Additionally make sure that you call Component_Sleep API for all the components not used in alternate active mode. One more important factor causing the current might be GPIO pins. Make sure that all unused pins are in analog HighZ mode. This will also reduce the current consumption. Along with that if you are configuring PM_STBY_CFGx registers properly, you should be able to see reduced current usage.

Best Regards,
VRS

0 Likes