1Gb NOR flash commendation

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MiRo_263836
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 likes received 50 replies posted

1Gb NOR Flash using S29GL S series (65nm).  However, Cypress also have a S29GL T series (45nm).  In checking Cypress Roadmap slides, it seems both series are supported in the future.   Wouldn’t the 45nm series be cheaper?  How does Cypress position these two series for !Gb applications? Which is the preferred choice for new designs?  Using the 64 BGA pkg.

0 Likes
1 Solution
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Semiconductor.

The main difference between the S29GL01GS and the S29GL01GT are as follows :

- S29GL01GS family series is a dedicated x16 (WORD) mode FLASH memory device, as there are sixteen active I/O's

(DQ15 - DQ0).  Therefore, the BYTE# mode input signal pin does not exist on the S29GL01GS.

- S29GL01GT family series can be configured in either x16 (WORD) mode, or x8 (BYTE) mode, as the S29GL01GT does have

the BYTE# input signal pin that exists.  In x8 (BYTE) mode, the BYTE# pin must be pulled to Logic LOW, as DQ7 - DQ0 are active

I/O's, and DQ15 - DQ8 are tri-stated.  In x16 (WORD) mode, the BYTE# pin must be pulled to Logic HIGH, as DQ15 - DQ0 are all

active I/O's.  The default configuration at power-up is x16 (WORD) mode (DQ15 - DQ0 are active I/O's), for a seamless migration

path from the S29GL01GS.

The S29GL-T family series is the newest Parallel NOR FLASH memory product.  Please consult your Cypress Sales Representative

or authorized distributor in regards to pricing, availability, lead-times, and delivery of the S29GL-T.

Hope this helps...

Thank you and regards,

Albert

Cypress Semiconductor

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Semiconductor.

The main difference between the S29GL01GS and the S29GL01GT are as follows :

- S29GL01GS family series is a dedicated x16 (WORD) mode FLASH memory device, as there are sixteen active I/O's

(DQ15 - DQ0).  Therefore, the BYTE# mode input signal pin does not exist on the S29GL01GS.

- S29GL01GT family series can be configured in either x16 (WORD) mode, or x8 (BYTE) mode, as the S29GL01GT does have

the BYTE# input signal pin that exists.  In x8 (BYTE) mode, the BYTE# pin must be pulled to Logic LOW, as DQ7 - DQ0 are active

I/O's, and DQ15 - DQ8 are tri-stated.  In x16 (WORD) mode, the BYTE# pin must be pulled to Logic HIGH, as DQ15 - DQ0 are all

active I/O's.  The default configuration at power-up is x16 (WORD) mode (DQ15 - DQ0 are active I/O's), for a seamless migration

path from the S29GL01GS.

The S29GL-T family series is the newest Parallel NOR FLASH memory product.  Please consult your Cypress Sales Representative

or authorized distributor in regards to pricing, availability, lead-times, and delivery of the S29GL-T.

Hope this helps...

Thank you and regards,

Albert

Cypress Semiconductor

It is helpful but didn't really answer the question.  Which is preferred for new designs? 

0 Likes

Hello,

As you had already pointed out, both the S29GL-S and S29GL-T are supported in the future.

The question whether you wish to design in the x16 (WORD) mode only (S29GL-S);

Or does your system requirements need the flexibility of a configurable x8 (BYTE) mode

or x16 (WORD) mode FLASH memory device, as both the S29GL-S and S29GL-T are

supported in the future.  Both FLASH memory devices would be preferred for new designs.

Please consult your Cypress Sales Representative or authorized distributor in regards

to pricing, availability, lead-times, and delivery of the S29GL-S, or the S29GL-T.

Best regards,

Albert

Cypress Semiconductor