CY8CKIT-059 USBUART Will Not Initialize.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using CY8CKIT-059 and am attempting to get the USBUART working - preferably including powering the device.

However, in the example code, there is a wait for " USBUART_GetConfiguration() that will wait until that returns a non zero value. It always returns 0.

I've tried the examples, I've verified my clocks.. Code compiles, and programs no problem.

I've got a regular TTL UART working, but I'd much rather use the USB uart so I can have just the one cable running to this module for power and communications...

FYI This doesn't appear to be a windows device issue - it doesn't enumerate because it is stuck in that loop of GetConfiguration.

I've also tried it on two seperate CY8CKit's...

*snip*

int main ()

CyGlobalIntEnable;

/* Start USBFS operation with 5-V operation. */

USBUART_Start(USBFS_DEVICE, USBUART_5V_OPERATION);

for(;;)

{

/* Host can send double SET_INTERFACE request. */

if (0u != USBUART_IsConfigurationChanged())  // THIS ALWAYS RETURNS 0

{

/* Initialize IN endpoints when device is configured. */

if (0u != USBUART_GetConfiguration())  // THIS ALSO ALWAYS RETURNS 0

{

/* Enumeration is done, enable OUT endpoint to receive data

* from host. */

USBUART_CDC_Init();

}

}

*snip

I can get by using an external TTL to USB Serial adapter, but that kinda defeats the purpose Any help would be greatly appreciated..

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yikes..

Thanks for the input.... As it turns out - was as simple as a bad cable.... Turns out I was using a USB-Micro cable that only provided power, and no data lines.. Lesson learned.

Thanks for your input anyways!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

james,

You can still use a single cable for UART communication with PC and powering KIT-059, if used pins 12_6 and 12_7 for RX and TX, which are hard-wired to USB-UART  converter located in KitProg. Once KIT-059 is programmed, you will find additional COM port in Device Manager.

To check USBUART issue, please post project bundle here: 1. Build->Clean. 2. File->Create Archive bundle->minimal. 3. Delete Generated_source folder inside archive to save space.

/odissey1

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yikes..

Thanks for the input.... As it turns out - was as simple as a bad cable.... Turns out I was using a USB-Micro cable that only provided power, and no data lines.. Lesson learned.

Thanks for your input anyways!

0 Likes