BCM2073XS Boot Sequence: Can't download to board (device not found)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I've been working my way through the examples for the BCM20736S and after I flashed the pwm_tones example I'm now unable to flash anything else as the IDE cant find the device and pressing reset doesn't seem to put the device into programming mode at all

any help would be appriciated

Cheers

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

After going through a number of posts from the forum over the weekend I was able to find a procedure to recover the module posted here Re: Unable to (re) program BCM20736  I think some of the documentation provided should've had this process to account for any users that weren't using the tag specifically

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Are you using the TAG3 Development kit, or is this on a custom module built using our 2073XS device?

On either, have you tried the Recovery Process defined in the WICED Smart Quick Start Guide (SDK 2.x and TAG3 Board)? If so, what happens?

If a custom board, which exact FTDI cable are you using between the PC and the board for programming? How is the HCI_UART RX line being handled on the custom board? Have you ever been able to reprogram the custom board, or, once programmed for the first time, it was no longer able to be programmed?

The part is behaving as if the HCI_UART RX is not asserted, so it just continues to load the PWM Tones program that you successfully loaded initially.

From RESET, the boot sequence for the BCM2073XS series essentially follows the process defined below:

Code in ROM executes and initializes the device processor, clock domains, peripherals, etc. 

The following checks then occur:

2a.
Boot ROM checks EEPROM for a valid configuration
And if not found
Boot ROM then checks Serial Flash for a valid configuration

If a valid configuration is found in either location and HCI_UART RX  is NOT asserted, the Boot ROM will continue to load the rest of the configuration, patch and user application code.

At this point, the part comes up in application mode running the previously programmed application.

Note: In addition, if HCI_UART RX  is asserted, the part will still come up in programming mode, even though a valid configuration was found.

2b.
If no valid configuration was found, the next step depends on whether the HCI_UART RX pin is asserted or not:

• If HCI_UART RX  is asserted, the part enters recovery mode
• If HCI_UART RX  is NOT asserted, the ROM will assume all default configuration settings and then boot up into download mode

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not using a custom board or the development kit. I'm using the following evaluation board EMRF-20736S, Breakout Board, Embedded Masters, CDI

and this FTDI cable Programmer - USB to serial UART - Shop | OpenEnergyMonitor

I've been able to program the board until I loaded the pwm example and after that every time I try another example provided in the SDK I get an error on the console saying device not found.

I was looking on the forums and found a post that says asserting SDA should work, it did to some extant, The device was found but the download fails

sorry for the seemly dump question but I've had the module for a day and I've trying to get familiar with it but when you say HCI_UART RX you are talking about HCI_RX pin connected to the FTDI?

0 Likes

Adding members of the Embedded Masters team (creator of the board you are using).

embeddedmasters bllcndn colemanem esmith

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great thanks, is there anymore information you think would be helpful in diagnosing the problem?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello S.Muyaba,

My name is Frank Roberts I am the founder of Embedded Masters and designed the Breakout Board you have.  Glad to assist you with this.  So it sounds like you have attempted the Recovery Procedure.  It would probably be easier to take this offline for now and I will post the resolution to this after we have resolved it.  Please contact me at sales@embeddedmasters.com and provide a phone number I can reach you at directly.

Regards,

Frank

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

After going through a number of posts from the forum over the weekend I was able to find a procedure to recover the module posted here Re: Unable to (re) program BCM20736  I think some of the documentation provided should've had this process to account for any users that weren't using the tag specifically

0 Likes