Square Characters Showing up in Console Window (Linux)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ChMa_3922746
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received 10 likes given 5 likes given

I seem to be suffering from some strange square characters showing up in the console window (see attached).  It makes debugging rather challenging.  I don't know if someone else has experienced this.  My Linux (Mint) box does print Unicode, but perhaps the console window does not?  I tried different fonts...  Thanks to anyone who has any ideas on this one. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

hello:

I already duplicated your issue from eclipse , but I can't fix it after trying many fonts setting.  if you are just want to debug the  language error, you can have a debug in command line, and input, change to 43xx_wi-fi directory where makefile located:

./make snip.scan-BCM43362WCD4

the error will be normal in the command line output.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
lock attach
Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

hello:

seems this is a Fonts issue ,  find something from internet , please have a look to see if it helps.

0 Likes

Thank you so much.  I tried various windows fonts (I could not find BSSYM7.TTF or MTExtra.ttf).  However, nothing seems to make a difference.  Hmm.

0 Likes

I just tried a fresh install of the latest Ubuntu, but no improvement.  I am surprised that this issue exists, but perhaps most designers are using Windows.  I can run Windows in a virtual machine as a potential option. 

0 Likes

Actually,  I have a ubuntu 14.04 version, both wiced eclipse and vim didn't find this issue, thanks.

Can you send me your issue file ?  I can have a test.

0 Likes
lock attach

Thank you for the follow up!  Here is the short LED blink program with an error in it:

#include "wiced.h"

void application_start()

{

wiced_init();

blahblah;

//wiced_gpio_init(WICED_LED1, OUTPUT_PUSH_PULL)

while(1)

{

wiced_gpio_output_low(WICED_LED1);

wiced_rtos_delay_milliseconds(250);

wiced_gpio_output_high(WICED_LED1);

wiced_rtos_delay_milliseconds(250);

}

}

The console yields the attached output.  It appears that the corruption occurs when the console output is trying to "point to" the error using the following lines.

0 Likes

hello:

I already duplicated your issue from eclipse , but I can't fix it after trying many fonts setting.  if you are just want to debug the  language error, you can have a debug in command line, and input, change to 43xx_wi-fi directory where makefile located:

./make snip.scan-BCM43362WCD4

the error will be normal in the command line output.

0 Likes

Thanks again.  I added the word "debug" to the make command:

ww101.02.02_blinkled-CYW943907AEVAL1F debug download run

Then, I went to the following directory where the files are located:

/WICED-Studio-6.2/43xxx_Wi-Fi/apps/ww101/02/02_blinkled/

However, I do not see any debug output file.  Is that where it should be?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hello:

it should be outputted in the build directory .

0 Likes

I have looked for any type of file in the build directory (e.g., /WICED-Studio-6.2/43xxx_Wi-Fi/build/), but can't see anything like it.... Hmmm.

0 Likes

hello:

using below command:

snip.scan-BCM943362WCD4-debug download

check the directory in the pic:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

Ah, yes, thanks.  I see the last_built.elf file which is ~3.8MB in size.  How should I use this file? 

0 Likes

hello:

we have a start-up document after sdk installed, strongly suggest to read the documents from the SDK firstly.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes