CAN communication

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
CoLy_3905441
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins First solution authored

I am looking for a better way to use CAN communications to read and transmit messages on a vehicle CAN system. I’m still a young engineer, so my experience is limited with microcontrollers, but I have used the CY8CKIT-059 PSOC 5 kit extensively in a college course, to the point of purchasing a couple for personal projects. We currently are using a neoECU10 for communications, but there have been many issues with use and support.  I have looked through some of the parts you have, but don’t understand the small details enough to pick a part, as well if you had anything pre-mounted. Would you have a board setup similar to the one I have used, but with the overvoltage and CAN communication built in.  Alternatively, would you have a setup with just the main chip of the CY8CKIT-059 that I could tie everything to, using the programmer of one full kit to program all the other half kits.  We’re dealing with a product previously developed by a different company and are trying to get up to speed first, but if cost and ease of use pan out, we may make a product switch some time down the road, depending on development ability.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShanmathiN_06
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Hi,

In case you are looking for a low-cost prototyping board with CAN controller, you could go for http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-043-psoc-4-m-series-prototyping-...

Otherwise, you could purchase the IC and use it in your custom board.

Either way, you require an external CAN transceiver that should be interfaced with the PSoC device's CAN controller.

Thanks,
Shanmathi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
ShanmathiN_06
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Hi,

In case you are looking for a low-cost prototyping board with CAN controller, you could go for http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-043-psoc-4-m-series-prototyping-...

Otherwise, you could purchase the IC and use it in your custom board.

Either way, you require an external CAN transceiver that should be interfaced with the PSoC device's CAN controller.

Thanks,
Shanmathi

0 Likes

That answered my initial question, but I have a follow up.

In reading the descriptions between the CAN controller on the PSOC4 and PSOC5, I noticed that the PSOC 5 states a CAN 2.0B while the PSOC 4 only states CAN controllers.  I am integrating with vehicles of all make and model in all years.  What is the difference between the different PSOC version CAN controllers and will I likely prefer to just get the PSOC 5, or will the PSOC 4 be sufficient?

0 Likes

Please check out Section 1.5 in the CAN troubleshooting guide: Control Area Network (CAN) Protocol Troubleshooting Guide for PSoC® - KBA224456

Thanks,
Shanmathi

0 Likes

That's a big help. Thank ya much

0 Likes