USB/RS485 cable CDC class

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ViSt_1094806
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need an USB/RS485 converter that supports the USB CDC (communication driver class) class and Windows 10.

Current application doesn't require flow control. Only the RX, TX and DE signals will be used.

I wasn't able to find ready USB/RS485 cables. An USB/RS485 cable from FTDI doesn't work because it uses the USB Vendor class, though it appears as a virtual COM port too.

PC software functions correctly, if RS232 is selected as a COM port. My PCBs use the RS485 interface. At the moment, I'm using a self-made RS232/RS485 converter. It operates flawlessly. However, USB connection is very important for my customers.

In my opinion, the CY7C65213A-28PVXI device is acceptable.However, this integrated circuit will require undesirable PCB development and some additional configuration.

Is a development board available or do you know other third parties who manufacture USB/RS485 cables based on CY7C65213A-28PVXI? Otherwise, I'll be forced to make a prototype.

Best regards,

Vitalij

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello Vitalij,

You can use our CYUSBS232 DVK available at- http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cyusbs232-usb-uart-lp-reference-design-k...You can use the CY7C65213A-32LTXI part with the DVK.

You can also check out the breakout board from Spark Fun at-SparkFun USB UART Serial Breakout - CY7C65213 - BOB-13830 - SparkFun Electronics

The drivers, library and application examples are present with the USB-Serial SDK.

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello Vitalij,

You can use our CYUSBS232 DVK available at- http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cyusbs232-usb-uart-lp-reference-design-k...You can use the CY7C65213A-32LTXI part with the DVK.

You can also check out the breakout board from Spark Fun at-SparkFun USB UART Serial Breakout - CY7C65213 - BOB-13830 - SparkFun Electronics

The drivers, library and application examples are present with the USB-Serial SDK.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hello Sananya,

Thank you for response.

Both boards include the CY7C65213 device that doesn't support RS485. Do you offer to replace it with CY7C65213A?

It will be quite difficult to replace the 32-QFN package. Since it is necessary to order the CY7C65213A device anyway, it's easier to make own prototype.

I'll contact you later, if some questions appear during getting started.

Vitalij

0 Likes

Hello Vitalij,

Yes, I was suggesting replacing the part since both are pin-to-pin compatible. Please let us know if you have further queries while making the prototype.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes