STM32F411+CYW43362 : OTA failed and FW Mirroring

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
YoJa_3107936
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
100 sign-ins 50 sign-ins First like given

Hi,

I want to know below questions about STM32F411+CYW43362.

1, When OTA failed, how will the Wi-Fi system work?

2,  Do you have software(FW) mirroring function?

Thanks

Y.Jiang

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
PriyaM_16
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

1. In case your OTA fails for some reason(power loss, connection problem, etc), the device becomes unusable. In that case, you can force the factory reset application to run. The steps to perform factory reset are given in the description of ota_fr snip:

* Perform factory reset on the WICED evaluation board

*  To perform factory reset on the WICED evaluation board, work through the following steps:

*  - Push and hold the SW1 button THEN momentarily press and release the Reset button.

*    The D1 LED flashes quickly to indicate factory reset will occur *IF* SW1 is held

*    for a further 5 seconds. Continue to hold SW1.

*  - After the copy process is complete, the WICED evaluation board reboots and runs the factory

*    reset (OTA_FR) application. Observe the log messages at the terminal to confirm the factory reset

*    is completed successfully.

In case OTA doesn't work out of the box for 43362, kindly replace 43362 platform with the attached platform folder

2. I am not quite sure what is asked in second question but I am inferring it refers to maintaining/saving/displaying a copy of the OTA_image that is being loaded during OTA update so that we can restore the update in case it fails.

To answer this I would say, ota_fr is not failsafe. You can check the wiced_ota_server.c file to see that among the multiple images that Wiced framework supports, the update image is being copied to the APP0 image area. Hence the APP0 gets replaced.

You can always read the written image by using sflash_read function. Please let me know if you are looking to read the OTA_image from the sflash region. I will post further details to do so.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
PriyaM_16
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

1. In case your OTA fails for some reason(power loss, connection problem, etc), the device becomes unusable. In that case, you can force the factory reset application to run. The steps to perform factory reset are given in the description of ota_fr snip:

* Perform factory reset on the WICED evaluation board

*  To perform factory reset on the WICED evaluation board, work through the following steps:

*  - Push and hold the SW1 button THEN momentarily press and release the Reset button.

*    The D1 LED flashes quickly to indicate factory reset will occur *IF* SW1 is held

*    for a further 5 seconds. Continue to hold SW1.

*  - After the copy process is complete, the WICED evaluation board reboots and runs the factory

*    reset (OTA_FR) application. Observe the log messages at the terminal to confirm the factory reset

*    is completed successfully.

In case OTA doesn't work out of the box for 43362, kindly replace 43362 platform with the attached platform folder

2. I am not quite sure what is asked in second question but I am inferring it refers to maintaining/saving/displaying a copy of the OTA_image that is being loaded during OTA update so that we can restore the update in case it fails.

To answer this I would say, ota_fr is not failsafe. You can check the wiced_ota_server.c file to see that among the multiple images that Wiced framework supports, the update image is being copied to the APP0 image area. Hence the APP0 gets replaced.

You can always read the written image by using sflash_read function. Please let me know if you are looking to read the OTA_image from the sflash region. I will post further details to do so.

YoJa_3107936
Level 5
Level 5

Hi riya

Thank you for your cooperation.

1, Can I start the original FW in the module when OTA fails?

Answer:Yes.

2, Do you have software(FW) mirroring function when OTA fails?

Answer:Yes.

According to your answer, I think the answer to the above two questions is Yes, right?

Thanks

Y.Jiang

0 Likes

Hello,

1. Yes. We can use the Factory reset image as the default firmware.

2. If OTA fails, we can not read the partial/erroneous file as the factory reset image gets copied to the APP0 area. You can check the file/image when it is being written, not after OTA fails

YoJa_3107936
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

About question 2

FW1(not default firmware) is in the board.
When I am writing the FW2 to the board, OTA is failed.

Could you tell me that if the board can be started normally by FW1?

Thanks

Y.Jiang

0 Likes

The board can be started normally with FW1