Date and Time reset at power off/on

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JoDr_3827906
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

I lose my date time when VDD power lost.  We do have a battery connected to VBAT. 

I think we are missing some configuration for enabling battery back up.

We are doing the following:

[..] To enable access to the RTC Domain and RTC registers, proceed as follows:

Enable the Power Controller (PWR) APB1 interface clock using the

RCC_APB1PeriphClockCmd() function.

Enable access to RTC domain using the PWR_BackupAccessCmd() function.

Select the RTC clock source using the RCC_RTCCLKConfig() function.

Enable RTC Clock using the RCC_RTCCLKCmd() function.

Is there more we need to do?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Raktim Roy wrote:

With just WICED_ENABLE_MCU_RTC defined, in my setup I am able to set up the time. Please check the same in your setup and update the thread.

Do you notice the platform_rtc_init() always set the time to default_rtc_time?

i.e. Everytime you reboot or reset the device, the rtc time is reset to wrong time.

I reported it very long time ago in

Re: Question regarding RTC

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Could you please mention the platform setup that you are using (Maybe attach the schematic if you are not using any Cypress EVK)? When VDD power is lost, It should automatically switch to VBAT and you should see the PWR LED ON. From your response I am not really sure if that's the case. Do you see the PWR LED is ON and are you still losing the date and time (assuming you have already enabled WICED_ENABLE_MCU_RTC)? 

We are using a custom board.

We did not have WICED_ENABLE_MCU_RTC enabled.  When we do and have WICED_DISABLE_MCU_POWERSAVE defined, I can't set the time as I could before.  I get an error from RTC_EnterInitMode() in RTC_SetTime().

0 Likes

Please do not use WICED_DISABLE_MCU_POWERSAVE macro while using the RTC. If you check the platform_rtc.c (43xxx_Wi-Fi/WICED/platform/MCU/STM32F4xx/peripherals/platform_rtc.c) code, some of the APIs are defined only if that macro is not defined which are crucial for the functioning of RTC. So, please remove that and then check the RTC_SetTime(). Any particular reason that you want to disable the MCU powersave? With just WICED_ENABLE_MCU_RTC defined, in my setup I am able to set up the time. Please check the same in your setup and update the thread.

As I reported below:

https://community.cypress.com/message/160463

The correct fix should be fix the sdk to init RTC no matter WICED_DISABLE_MCU_POWERSAVE is set or not.

0 Likes

Raktim Roy wrote:

With just WICED_ENABLE_MCU_RTC defined, in my setup I am able to set up the time. Please check the same in your setup and update the thread.

Do you notice the platform_rtc_init() always set the time to default_rtc_time?

i.e. Everytime you reboot or reset the device, the rtc time is reset to wrong time.

I reported it very long time ago in

Re: Question regarding RTC

0 Likes

Disabled calling platform_rtc_set_time( &default_rtc_time ); and it works!

Thanks!

0 Likes