Bootloader loads image to RAM but does not execute it.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
geatc_3736111
Level 1
Level 1

A while ago I was assigned to make a bootloader for a custom board based on Cypress CX3. In order to do that I came up with the idea to make my own custom vendor request because I was told that while there is a hardcoded bootloader on the chip it only works with USB 2 and the custom board only uses USB 3.

I tried using Fx3BootAppGcc firmware that comes with the EZ USB Suite using the fwDownloadApp application on the host. If I use the application with Denebola's implementation of the evaluation kit while it is set to boot from USB and without using Fx3BootAppGcc it successfully transfers the image to RAM and executes it. However this is not the case with the custom board.

When I use Fx3BootAppGcc it downloads the image to RAM but fails to pass control to the entry point of the image uploaded both on the evaluation board and the custom board. So first of all I would like to verify some things.

I can also verify that it does pass values to the board because when I used the bootloader as FW on evaluation board and used EZ-USB Suite's control center I succeeded to pass DE AD BE EF to RAM.

For starters, I found code for CyAPI library that fwDownloadApp is using in the following link and I would like to verify that it is the same one that is being used in the app if possible.

occam/indigosdk-2.0.15/third/cyusb at master · Cornell-RPAL/occam · GitHub

If this is indeed the code then I did change the P_id there to be F0 instead of F3 and I also tried to alternatively change the bootloader's P_id to F3 to make the device visible to the app. In both cases it has the same result. I receive a message telling me that programming to RAM was succesfully completed but the device does not change state. (Here I have to let you know that the image file I used is Cx3UvcAS0260.img which is part of OV12895_UVC in the SDK as well and which should alter the device from Bootloader Device to video one). One question here would be which product ID is the proper one of the two ?

Next from the USB Descriptor Files of the bootloader, correct me if I am mistaken but it supports BOS of USB3 capability as implied by  /* SuperSpeed Device Capability */ section and the followup descriptor.

/* Binary Device Object Store Descriptor */

unsigned char gbBosDesc[] =

{

0x05,                           /* Descriptor Size */

0x0F,                           /* Device Descriptor Type */

0x16,0x00,                      /* Length of this descriptor and all sub descriptors */

0x02,                           /* Number of device capability descriptors */

/* USB 2.0 Extension */

0x07,                           /* Descriptor Size */

0x10,                           /* Device Capability Type descriptor */

0x02,                           /* USB 2.0 Extension Capability Type */

0x02,0x00,0x00,0x00,            /* Supported device level features - LPM Support */

/* SuperSpeed Device Capability */

0x0A,                           /* Descriptor Size */

0x10,                           /* Device Capability Type descriptor */

0x03,                           /* SuperSpeed Device Capability Type */

0x00,                           /* Supported device level features  */

0x0E,0x00,                      /* Speeds Supported by the device : SS, HS and FS */

0x03,                           /* Functionality support */

0x00,                           /* U1 Device Exit Latency */

0x00,0x00                       /* U2 Device Exit Latency */

};

/* Standard Super Speed Configuration Descriptor */

unsigned char gbSsConfigDesc[] =

{

/* Configuration Descriptor Type */

0x09,                           /* Descriptor Size */

0x02,                           /* Configuration Descriptor Type */

0x2C,0x00,                      /* Length of this descriptor and all sub descriptors */

0x01,                           /* Number of interfaces */

0x01,                           /* Configuration number */

0x00,                           /* COnfiguration string index */

0x80,                           /* Config characteristics - D6: Self power; D5: Remote Wakeup */

0x32,                           /* Max power consumption of device (in 8mA unit) : 400mA */

/* Interface Descriptor */

0x09,                           /* Descriptor size */

0x04,                           /* Interface Descriptor type */

0x00,                           /* Interface number */

0x00,                           /* Alternate setting number */

0x02,                           /* Number of end points */

0xFF,                           /* Interface class */

0x00,                           /* Interface sub class */

0x00,                           /* Interface protocol code */

0x00,                           /* Interface descriptor string index */

/* Endpoint Descriptor for Producer EP */

0x07,                           /* Descriptor size */

0x05,                           /* Endpoint Descriptor Type */

0x01,                           /* Endpoint address and description */

0x02,                           /* Bulk End point Type */

0x00,0x04,                      /* Max packet size = 1024 bytes */

0x00,                           /* Servicing interval for data transfers : NA for Bulk */

/* Super Speed Endpoint Companion Descriptor for Producer EP */

0x06,                           /* Descriptor size */

0x30,                           /* SS Endpoint Companion Descriptor Type */

0x00,                           /* Max no. of packets in a Burst : 0: Burst 1 packet at a time */

0x00,                           /* Max streams for Bulk EP = 0 (No streams)*/

0x00,0x00,                      /* Service interval for the EP : NA for Bulk */

/* Endpoint Descriptor for Consumer EP */

0x07,                           /* Descriptor size */

0x05,                           /* Endpoint Descriptor Type */

0x81,                           /* Endpoint address and description */

0x02,                           /* Bulk End point Type */

0x00,0x04,                      /* Max packet size = 1024 bytes */

0x00,                           /* Servicing interval for data transfers : NA for Bulk */

/* Super Speed Endpoint Companion Descriptor for Consumer EP */

0x06,                           /* Descriptor size */

0x30,                           /* SS Endpoint Companion Descriptor Type */

0x00,                           /* Max no. of packets in a Burst : 0: Burst 1 packet at a time */

0x00,                           /* Max streams for Bulk EP = 0 (No streams)*/

0x00,0x00                       /* Service interval for the EP : NA for Bulk */

};

I am using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 on the computer.

From what I gathered after studying the codes is that fwDownloadApp sends several 0xA0 requests after verifying the contents of the image file and after it verifies its validity and the checksums match a new 0xA0 vendor request is being sent with 0 length that contains the EntryPoint of the image file. On the bootloader side the bootloader is loaded at the end of the memory of the board and once a non zero length 0xA0 request is received, the image is loaded anywhere in between the valid addresses as instructed by wIndex and wValue parameters of the vendor request. Afterwards when a 0xA0 request of zero length is received, the entry point is received, the USB interrupts are masked, the GPIO state is set and then CyFx3BootJumpToProgramEntry(dAddress N) is executed which is supposed to pass control to the entry point of the downloaded image file.

I am struggling to understand why does it fail to work properly so I would welcome any suggestions.

While reading the library CyAPI code I also encountered the following comment at the end of CCyFX3Device::DownloadFwToRam() ...

//Few of the xHCI driver stack have issue with Control IN transfer, due to that below request fails

after which the 0 length 0xA0 request is being generated that is supposed to pass the program entry. If that is the problem how can I fix that ? Would a new custom vendor request replacing the 0xA0 for program entry fix the problem ?

Finally how do I add a new vendor request? Do i simply add another if clause with the new value and write code there? If so is it possible to pass through that the entry point. deinitialize the serial parts if any are initialized (which  i don't think they do ) and then cause a warm reset so the RAM stays intact while the system restarts and how ?

Thank you in advance and sorry for the length of this post.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi,

- Let the PID of the second-stage bootloader(BootAppGcc) be 0x00F0

- But in the BootAppGcc firmware please make the below mentioned change and build it:

In myUsbBoot() function which is in usb_boot.c file, change the  first parameter of CyFx3BootUsbStart() function from CyTrue to CyFalse.

Now load this bootloader. And then you can load your video application. Let me know if you are able to see the video device re-enumerating.

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Hemanth

Hi,

- Let the PID of the second-stage bootloader(BootAppGcc) be 0x00F0

- But in the BootAppGcc firmware please make the below mentioned change and build it:

In myUsbBoot() function which is in usb_boot.c file, change the  first parameter of CyFx3BootUsbStart() function from CyTrue to CyFalse.

Now load this bootloader. And then you can load your video application. Let me know if you are able to see the video device re-enumerating.

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes

Thank you for your reply, Itdid solve the problem however if I want to add write to SPI Flash functionality do I still use it as an 0xF0 device? If i remember correctly USBFlashProgrammer firmware is 0xF3. What is the difference between the two?

0 Likes

Hi,

Using USBFlashProgrammer firmware, you can write an image file into I2C EEPROM/SPI Flash. But BootAppGcc is a second-stage bootloader which loads the image from the external memory via USB/I2C/SPI and passes control to the same.

When you use control center to load firmware into I2C EEPROM/SPI Flash, control center code loads USBFlashProgrammer image to FX3 and uses the vendor commands provided in that firmware for memory write.

Please let me know if you have any doubts.

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes

Thank you for your reply. On the application I am using to download to either RAM or SPI/I2C there is a function called IsBootLoaderRunning() and a check follows that prevents me from checking my vendor requests out for the time being. What does that function check(e.g. vendor request 0xA0)? I could always remove the check for that from the application FwDownloadApp but knowing what it does exactly and how, would help me not make mistakes on my code as well by forgetting things that need to be done.

Thank you in advance

0 Likes

Hi,

1. You can add vendor requests to do SPI transfers.

2. The definition of IsBootLoaderRunning() is as follows:

public bool IsBootLoaderRunning()

{

//Dire : in, Target : Device, ReqCode:0xA0,wValue:0x0000,wIndex:0x0000

// This function checks for bootloader,it will return false if it is not running.

byte[] buf = new byte[1];

uint len = 1;

return Ep0VendorCommand(ref buf, ref len, true, 0xA0, 0x0000);

}

=> Only the Bootloader responds to 0xA0 vendor command.

Any application firmware (not ROM Bootloader/ Second stage bootloader) does not support 0xA0 vendor command.

You can get the source code of CyAPI library in USBSuiteSource which is in the following link:

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-usb-fx3-software-development-kit

Cypress control center (Host side application for fw Download) uses this library.

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes

Thank you for your reply.

It was spot on. The reason I have not replied before was because there's another issue that I am trying to figure out but I cannot at the moment that has to do with USB hub and the bootloader appears to be passing the correct 0xA0 requests as well as sending the entry point 0xA0 request but the device when connected to certified USB hub it does not renumerate. I don't have all the information I want right now but as soon as I do I will continue this here.

Also  if possible where can I find the source code for jumpToProgramEntry() function?

Thank you again

0 Likes

Hi,

You can find the definition of CyFx3BootJumpToProgramEntry() in cyfx3device.c file in the SDK source which you can find in the below path:

SDK Install Path\1.3\firmware\fx3_sdk_1_3_4_src\FX3\firmware\boot_fw\libsrc

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes

Dear Sir,

if PID = 0x00f0 in 2-stage Fx3BootAppGcc project, it will show "Cypress FX3 USB BulkloopExample Device" in Control Center, according to cyusb3.inf.

1: is it right?

but If I change PID into 0x4720, which is used in USBFlashProg project  and re-compile , it is not changed ,control center still show "Cypress FX3 USB BulkloopExample Device"

PID is 0x00f0 ,which shown in Cntrol center.

What's wrong with my operation?

Thanks

0 Likes

I forgot to change usb3.0 device descriptor PID

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Hemanth

Hi,

If the PID is changed in the gbDevDesc[] of usb_descriptors.c file, then the device will come up as BootProgrammerDevice as shown in the attached figure.

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes