How to measure the current consumption for the cypress module CYW94343WWCD1?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
aktac_3789331
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Support,

I am evaluating the cypress module CYW94343WWCD1. And I have started using the power save example in the demo apps.

I am not getting any information for the current consumption measurement(i.e. On which pin should we measure current consumption, what are expected numbers, etc.).

Can you please let me know that how should I measure the current consumption for the module CYW94343WWCD1? Is there any app-note available for the hardware changes to be done in this module?

I am attaching the picture of my module For reference.

Thanks

Akash

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Akash/Milan,

I sincerely apologize for the incorrect direction provided in the earlier statement. Instead of shorting the jumpers, you should measure the voltage across the TPs or across the Jumper and divide that by 10 (Rsense*Gain) to get the module current. I really apologize for the misdirection in this case; now you should be able to see the current in 6-25 mA range.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

You can check the baseboard schematic as provided in BCM9WCD9EVAL1_5 Baseboard Schematic (PDF) where you can find TP45 and TP46 provided specifically for current measurement. There is a powersave appnote bundled with SDK, can be found at 43xxx_Wi-Fi/doc/WICED-Powersave-App-Note.pdf, which should be able to provide you with a starting point for power measurement. The App-Note is written mainly for 43907 platform but you can find ST related information as well in Sec 2.2; obviously the WLAN related part and APIs remain equally prevalent.

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean that I do not need to do any hardware changes?

Can I directly measure the current from the J2 ? As per the BCM9WCD9EVAL1_5 Baseboard Schematic (PDF) document The test points are looking different than the J2.

Can you please clarify that?

Thanks

Akash

0 Likes

Hello rroy,

FYI I want to measure the power from the wifi chip only, Not the entire board.

Can you please let me know if I need any hardware change for current consumption measurement from the wifi chip used in the module CYW94343WWCD1?

Thanks

Akash

0 Likes

Hi Akash,

The chip power numbers are already mentioned in the datasheet. Anyway, if you want to measure the WiFi power numbers from the eval kit, you can measure the current through R5 resistor.

Hi rroy,

My bad. It is WiseMCU platform only so we need to measure for the complete platform. Apologies for the confusion.

So as per the schematics (and my understanding), it seems that the current can be measured through test points or the jumper J2.

Can you please confirm this? And second thing as per the snapshot is given below from the schematics:

test_points.png

We require the supply of 5V to enable the Op-amp (on the pin3).

I am powering the module through USB cable from the PC.

Can you please confirm that I will need the 5V supply also for the current measurement through J2 jumper(or TP45 and TP46 test points)?

Thanks

Milan

0 Likes

You can power through USB, no need to connect external supply.

You should close the Jumper and then measure across the TPs

Hello rroy

With following this method of shorting th ejumpers J2 and measuring the current, I am continously getting around 34-40 uA everytime(even when module is not in power save). Please find the below image FYR. Please tell me if am I doing something wrong here?

current_shorting_jumpers.png

Thanks

Milan

0 Likes

Hi Akash/Milan,

I sincerely apologize for the incorrect direction provided in the earlier statement. Instead of shorting the jumpers, you should measure the voltage across the TPs or across the Jumper and divide that by 10 (Rsense*Gain) to get the module current. I really apologize for the misdirection in this case; now you should be able to see the current in 6-25 mA range.