Why the Gedday library becomes so big in SDK-3.3.1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I just found the size of Gedday seems double in SDK-3.3.1.

$ make snip_service_discovery-FreeRTOS-LwIP-BCM943362WCD4

----------------------------------|---------|---------|

|         |  Static |

Module              |  Flash  |   RAM   |

----------------------------------+---------+---------|

Gedday                            |    4452 |     204 | (SDK-3.1.2)

Gedday                            |    7124 |    1400 | (SDK-3.3.1)

$ make snip.service_discovery-FreeRTOS-LwIP-BCM94390WCD2

----------------------------------|---------|---------|

|         |  Static |

Module              |  Flash  |   RAM   |

----------------------------------+---------+---------|

Gedday                            |       0 |    4656 | (SDK-3.1.2)

Gedday                            |       0 |    8523 | (SDK-3.3.1)

In additional, the Gedday is supposed to be a simple protocol,

why the image size is so big (compare to other daemons)?

0 Likes
9 Replies
VikramR_26
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins 10 comments on KBA

More features have been added to the Gedday implementation, for instance IPv6 is one of them.

Does this size affect your application or project ?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this is indeed a problem especially for BCM4390 platform.

Note, I'm not talking about slightly increase in the library size,

it's almost double size.

In additional, I don't think the SDK has IPv6 support for FreeRTOS+LwIP build.

IMHO, you need to give users an option to disable the feature they don't need so

they can have the library size smaller.

BTW, there is no changelog for the Gedday so people have no idea what new features

are included in new sdk. People even don't know how to enable/use new Gedday features.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

ipv6 is mandatory for Gedday going forward. This is to pass the Bonjour conformance test. It is occupying only another 4KB of RAM on the 4390. If you have issues with that take the message offline and discuss with your local support team.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the SDK has ipv6 support for LwIP build?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

No it doesn't at the moment. But gedday is a single library and it is not possible to selectively enable/disable features. This is primarily meant to be used with ThreadX/NetX_duo

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that all the participants of this thread would prefer to see the source code of this component. It would make it easier for everyone.. ( except ,maybe, the legal department ? )

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gedday is Broadcom optimized code for implementing a full bonjour compliant library for MCUs. As such we don't plan to make it open-source. If there are specific problems or issues you are facing with the library please report that. Increase in size is not one of them because the ipv6 functionality implemented in mandatory for bonjour compliance going forward. If your application doesn't require bonjour compliant support - then you can remove gedday from your builds.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"full bonjour compliant library" ? that's great new 😉

I was under the impression that it's an unofficial attempt to implement the bonjour functionality without commitment to the official Apple standards.

I'm excited to hear I was wrong about that.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

More than bug issues, the new implementation seems to have performance issues, and lack multi interface support.

For example if I use it on configuration interface to advertise my webserver, and then want to use in on the STA itnerface once I stop the SoftAP, I need to stop it and launch it again, which takes several seconds (6 to 7), which is really bothersome.

0 Likes