SDK Version 1.1.0 Release

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

WICED Smart SDK version 1.1.0 is now available in the downloads section.

Changes for WICED-Smart SDK 1.1.0 include: 

• New sample applications:
    • Over The Air Firmware upgrade (ota_firmware_upgrade)
    • Firmware upgrade over peripheral uart (uart_firmware_upgrade)
    • SPI master (pressure_sensor and spi_comm_master)
    • SPI slave (spi_comm_slave)
    • I2C connected sensor (temperature_sensor)
  • Application code overlay support (see proximity_plus for an example)
  • Fixed a number of bugs within the application code
  • Added support for downloading applications to EEPROM or SPI Serial Flash
  • Updated conversion and download tools to latest version
    • 2x speed improvements when downloading code
  • Added new and updated existing documentation
25 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

PROBLEM:

No UART output messages from our central or peripheral app compiled by new 1.1.0.  

1.1 download speed is still very slow:   27kB app took 39s. first, 32s. 2nd time, though same size.

Are there any changes required to our app to make it work with SDK 1.1 ?

0 Likes

By UART output messages, are you referring to the printf traces that can be directed to the HCI UART via the debug procedure described in the Quick Start Manual (procedure uses the Tag board)?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think so -- the one that uses ble_trace0().

0 Likes

If you use peripheral UART for debug traces output you will need to modify one line in Wiced-Smart\spar\common\spar_init.c.  bleapp_trace_enable = BLE_TRACE_UART_PERIPHERAL;

Default has been changed from HCI UART because it is the only one available on the Tags.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, this fixed debug serial output from board.

But app gets no serial input.

0 Likes

Doug,

Sleep is enabled by default for all applications in SDK 1.1.0 - and since the peripheral uart (PUART) HW block is turned off in sleep, we will not be able to receive data when the device is asleep. You have to configure a GPIO with interrupts enabled on it to wake the device up first and then send the data over from the other device connected over the PUART. To configure a GPIO for interrupt/wake, see the temperature_sensor sample app where it uses the gpio_* API to configure a GPIO for wake/interrupt.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there example software source code that enables incoming UART serial to the device?

0 Likes

Yes, there is. See Apps/RAM/uart_firmware_upgrade - this shows you how to use PUART to receive a new FW image.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I use this software, do we need to change hardware?

I would like to enable serial input into device without a hardware change please.

0 Likes

uart_firmware_upgrade is a sample application that uses the uart to do an upgrade. This application registers with the stack to participate in sleep decisions with devlpm_registerForLowPowerQueries() and uses ws_upgrade_uart_device_lpm_queriable() to disable sleep. You need to use similar code to disable sleep when you expect to send/receive data.

> If I use this software, do we need to change hardware?

Which software are you referring to?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way that I can keep the PUART enabled all the time?

(Basically, turn it back to the way it was in 1.0.1)

Thanks!

0 Likes

SDK 1.0.1 had sleep disabled all the time. You have to do the same using a callback similar to ws_upgrade_uart_device_lpm_queriable().

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does SMART V1.1.0 support client/master mode? Which application describe how to use that?

0 Likes

Are you referring to simultaneous Master/Slave operation, such as what will be supported with the new BCM20736, or are you asking whether or not we have included Central and Peripheral role application examples in the new SDK?

Similar to SDK 1.0, SDK 1.1 implements mostly services.  The exception being the Time application; this one  contains both an example of a Client and Service.

Please note that I believe a different set of patches are required for central/client in 1.x SDK, so you will not be able to just create and run the app without some support from our side.  Ideally, we recommend waiting for SDK 2.0 as the client examples included within that release will be more turn-key.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just want to make 20732 work in Central/Client mode, not simultaneous.

Is it complex to establish Central/Client application on 1.x SDK?

What's your plan about V2.0?

0 Likes

SDK 2.0 should be released in the upcoming weeks.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have an ETA on the release of SDK 2.0?

0 Likes

We are hoping for a release in the next few weeks.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any update regrading the release of SDK version 2.0?

I thought I saw a target date of e/o March. are we still on for that?

thanks,

0 Likes

Yes, Release this month.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this release on schedule for this month?

I was interested to know if this release contains the characteristic value size changed to 16-bits(2 bytes) from present 8-bits(1 byte)

Regards,

Subash

0 Likes

The characteristic value size will not change in the initial release of SDK 2.0, which is scheduled to come out this week.  However, we may provide a patch at some point which allows a larger characteristic value size.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are dependent on this feature for our product release, and interested to know ETA for this patch over SDK 2.0.

Regards,

Subash

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

If i run the sample code "blecen" as central mode at BCM20732A0.

Can you please inform how to create a peripheral then connect to this(BCM20732A0) central device? (which sample code of SDK1.1.0)

Should I modify some setting, ex BD_Addr at config of "blecen" sample code?

Please advise, thanks^^

0 Likes

There is quite a bit more involved.

The Central Mode support within SDK 2.0 will be much more complete.

0 Likes