COM port on PSoC dev kit CY8CKIT-050 (USB-UART )

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm using CY8CKIT-050 dev kit with PSoC chip CY8C5868AXI-LP035, and trying to employ UART [v.2.50] on a very simple design to just see if PC can detect a COM port thus communicate with the kit via hyper terminal through mini-USB port J2 on the dev kit.

I understand that on PSoC dev kit CY8CKIT-059, KitProg is the part responsible for this type of communication, while on 050 there is no KitProg circuitry available, at least per schematics. And from what I see in windows device manager,only DVKProg 5 (relative to mini-USB J1 for programming the board) is present as a USB device w/o any COM port associated.

I wired P12[6] and P12[7] which are assigned to UART RX/TX pins, to RX, TX ( P5[1], P5[2]) on the prototyping area respectively which are in turn connected to DB-9 serial port, but didn't change anything.

I also downloaded the latest programmer software and devie drivers, so am pretty sure every thing is updated.

Does it mean that on PSoC dev kit CY8CKIT-050, there is no USB-UART bridge like KitProg on PSoC dev kit CY8CKIT-059 so the only way for hyper terminal session is through DB-9 connector?

Regards

Ben

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShipingW_81
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Ben,

Yes, you are correct. There is no USB-UART bridge (like KitProg) on CY8CKIT-050. It is High-Speed USB peripheral controller instead. As you said, please use DB-9 connector for UART function.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ShipingW_81
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Ben,

Yes, you are correct. There is no USB-UART bridge (like KitProg) on CY8CKIT-050. It is High-Speed USB peripheral controller instead. As you said, please use DB-9 connector for UART function.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for clarification!

0 Likes
KlZo_3306126
Level 4
Level 4
First like received First like given

Hi Ben,

if you want an example of using the DB-9/UART, you can that download here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mecrisp/files/Cypress/mecrisp-stellaris-2.4.2%20for%20cy8c5868axi.z...

It is a implementation of FORTH on CY8CKIT-050.

Klaus

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Klaus,

Thank you, I'll try it!

0 Likes